Destination: Everyplace

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Destination: Everyplace

Post by melissa052 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:51 am

I mentioned this within a post in another thread, but I just kinda thought I would give it it's own announcement thread because why not? I actually meant to log on months ago to make this thread, but I kept putting it off for one reason or another. I have a website now, destinationeveryplace.com.

Within the last three months, my life direction has changed so much. I can't even begin to describe within a single post just how much everything has changed. All of my goals and dreams are just so different than what they were before, and for once... I don't feel tied down to one geographic location, even though I' pretty much tied down here until December 2018, when I graduate. Basically, I opened my eyes and learned through others that I don't have to be rich to travel the world. Just resourceful. So right now, I am working to save up money, and directly after I graduate, I plan on getting out of here and living as a full time nomad, working as a freelance writer and photographer, maybe also graphic designer, depending on if I'm able to develop my skills a lot more. I think my biggest influence fir this decision has been Breezy Baldwin, who is by far my favorite photographer/traveler/general do-gooder, and hopefully one day, my mentor.

I do still intend to join the Peace Corps, someday. But when I made the choice, it was kind of a gateway... go on a 2.5 year mission and use that as a way of showing people here at home that I can make it in some faraway place without them. Now I am definitely more on the side of "fuck what other people say" and wanting to live for me. I don't need to prove anything to anyone but myself, and all I know is I wanna see the world and have amazing stories to tell.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Destination: Everyplace

Post by Rex on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:21 am

I am so happy to hear this Mel! Traveling is amazing! I can't get enough of it myself. I think your decision on the Peace Corps was spot on. Such things can be fun but such long commitment can be a killer.

If you don't mind a few advices

Immediately start researching credit cards. This doesn't exist in my country but apparently in the USA there are credit cards that give you free flying miles. So just by paying for your everyday expenses with this card you may gather enough miles to get one or two free tickets per year

Working as a freelance writer/photographer is a great idea!I also recommend looking at various traveling jobs. For example just having a bachelor degree(any degree) and having English as a native language is enough to get you a short term(3-6 months)teaching job in a lot of poorer countries/regions. Especially in Asia.
Also cruises! Working as an animator(I am not sure the exact word in English. You know the one who entertains the guests, gives them information as so on) on a cruise ship will both let you travel around and give you a decent pay

Join traveling communities. They have the best tips and you can make a lot of great contacts!

Check out both the famous things and the more hidden ones. For example Milan is great but when I went there I found out that the nearby town of Bergamo is actually even better then Milan and cheaper!

Don't forget to call me if you are in Eastern Europe Smile
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Rex wrote:I am so happy to hear this Mel! Traveling is amazing! I can't get enough of it myself. I think your decision on the Peace Corps was spot on. Such things can be fun but such long commitment can be a killer.
LOL! I knew you'd probably be the most excited about me basically saying "fuck careers" and being a full time nomad instead. :p

If you don't mind a few advices

Immediately start researching credit cards. This doesn't exist in my country but apparently in the USA there are credit cards that give you free flying miles. So just by paying for your everyday expenses with this card you may gather enough miles to get one or two free tickets per year
Already did my research on those months ago, actually. like 97% of them have annual fees that I can't personally afford and require you to spend $3000-10,000 in the first 1-3 months in order to get the bonus, which isn't good for me because I don't have other bills to pay and all my spending is extremely basic.
I did manage to find one that has no fees or a minimum spending requirement for the bonus. I get 1.5 Miles for every dollar spent and the bonus is having every mile I earn doubled after the first year.

Working as a freelance writer/photographer is a great idea!I also recommend  looking at various traveling jobs. For example just having a bachelor degree(any degree) and having English as a native language is enough to get you a short term(3-6 months)teaching job in a lot of poorer countries/regions. Especially in Asia.
Also cruises! Working as an animator(I am not sure the exact word in English. You know the one who entertains the guests, gives them information as so on) on a cruise ship will both let you travel around and give you a decent pay
Yeah! I am actually researching working holiday visas for a future post on my site, and I think I might actually do that at some point within the next few years, the earning potential is high for my top two countries of choice that I'd be eligible for (NZ and Australia)... but because of my age, I would have to take a gap year between semesters and come back and finish my degree a year later, unless I can somehow manage to have my college let me do everything online.
I've also been doing a ton of research on other jobs I can get while traveling, even ones that aren't generally paid but help with the room and board, like WWOOFing, house sitting, and being an au pair. I find that there really is endless potential...

Join traveling communities. They have the best tips and you can make a lot of great contacts!
I have actually been joining a few! They are awesome... I am also working on networking with other travel bloggers and photographers. I actually kind of made acquaintances out of Breezy, she actually requested me on FB the other day, which was totally unexpected. :p

Check out both the famous things and the more hidden ones. For example Milan is great but when I went there I found out that the nearby town of Bergamo is actually even better then Milan and cheaper!
Awesome tip and one I definitely plan on using. I feel like doing that, I would be experiencing more of the local side of the places I go, and less of the touristy side. As a photographer, I would want to find places that are more obscure and not as well known as a tourist location... if that makes sense.

Don't forget to call me if you are in Eastern Europe Smile
Maybe if I had your number. Razz (In all seriousness, you should friend me on FB!)
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:16 am

Hey! Traveling around the world is a career as well and a much more fulfilling one then the usual 9-5 job Smile

Dude that's amazing! You are so well prepared! Even better then I thought. I have no doubt you are going to crush it Smile

Yeah. The lesser known places can be just as amazing if not more then the tourist heavy ones. And so so much cheaper Smile

I use FB pretty much just for business but hey what the hell if anyone wants to you guys can email me. I might as well shed a layer of mystery. Here is an e-mail for me arekanderu@abv.bg

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 am

Fair enough, but you know what I meant. :p I am just so over society's expectations and just want to create my own career that I can do from virtually anywhere.

Thank you! Very Happy I can't wait to actually put all this preparedness into action. I just want the future to be here already. XD

Yeah, that makes sense.

Did Hannah tell you about my slight tendency to hunt down and murder people? I swear I went to murder rehab! :p (I shall email you later when I'm not technically supposed to be working. XD)

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Society is so fucked why even bother with it?

I am sure you will soon Smile

Haha. No worries. Nothing wrong with a bit of a murder here and there Smile
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:19 am

That's my philosophy. :p

Yup, just as soon as I jump a few hurdles, fist of it being freakin calculus. XD

I am glad someone finally understands. The population needs to be controlled somehow! More people should consider it as a way of contributing to society.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:31 am

Speaking of destinations I am going to Dublin tonight. Wish me luck in case the I go missing in a fairy circle
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:44 am

LMFAO. I wish I was joining. :p Good luck. XD
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Sounds awesome. Good luck with your adventures!

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:37 am

Thank you! Very Happy

In other news... I recently created a page on FB. It basically covers the blog, plus additions promoting other travel related blogs/youtube videos/travel deals/etc... I basically wanted a way to expand the blog and hopefully my audience.

If y'all are interested, you can follow it here!
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:24 am

Hey Mel Smile I saw this post about travel tricks and thought of you. You probably know most of them already since you seem to have done your research but I still thought you might like it
http://travelpaintrepeat.com/post/59743516609/how-i-afford-travel
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:47 am

Interestingly, I have actually seen that article while researching traveling artists to see if I can get information to somehow get Liz to join me.

In other news, I am moving to LA. Well... only for a month, but still. It's the longest I'll be away from home without someone from home with me. Some of my friends expect that I'll fall in love with not being in the valley that I'll just pack up and settle there, get a transfer with my job and transfer all my college credits to LACC and just go to school there. Since I've got an aunt that will likely let me live with her rent free, the idea is an attractive one.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:52 am

L.A is quite nice. I spend a month there and it was quite fun Smile A bit expensive though
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:14 am

Yeah, I go there a lot myself... I just usually have a friend with me and it's never for longer than 4-5 days at a time. The beauty of this trip is I will be staying with my aunt so room and board is free, and that would ordinarily be the biggest expense.

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:34 pm

That is awesome. Where does your aunt live? I stayed in Santa Monica and it was awesome
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:13 pm

She lives in Northridge. It's a nice area and feels central to everything, yet away from all the tourism, which is nice.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Thought I'd post a little bit of an update here on the adventure I've been having... plus some future plans that are forming.

I've been in LA now for a little over three weeks, gonna be going back home this coming Wednesday. My time here has been crazy. Like, I've experienced so much more than I even thought I would. I made a friend out of my favorite photographer/traveler... the one who inspired me to take on all my goals and dreams. I tried pot for the first time ever and it was amazing. Probably not something I would ever do on my own, but it's also an experience I wouldn't take back if I could. I went to a psychic for the first time, and that was another amazing experience. She was pretty accurate with her reading, I feel... and I went on a tour of the Queen Mary and had a few experiences. All in all, it's been an amazing trip and I learned so much.

One of the most important lessons I learned was that I don't want to wait till I graduate to travel farther and do more. So now I am in the planning process of something my family might think is crazy. Within the next year or so, I am planning to go to India for a couple weeks to volunteer. A couple friends and I are actually currently in the process of developing a crowdfunding campaign to help me raise money in order to do so. It took me a while to actually accept the idea of doing a crowdfunding campaign, but my friends told me to not think about it as asking for money, but asking for support. I couldn't argue with that logic. XD
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:21 am

That sounds like an amazing summer Smile I have only tried a pot brownie once when I was in Amsterdam but it had pretty much zero effect on me. I am glad it worked better for you. And dude making connection with your inspiration? That's awesome. I hope he can help you break into the business. Queen Mary? Was that a ghost ship?

Good luck with your travel! In case you don't gather enough money for a ticket all the way to India you can always try to volunteer in Eastern Europe especially my country Smile We are also very very poor and could use some volunteers. Especially with the influx of refugees from Syria now
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:14 am

Yeah, it worked almost too well for me. Like, there was one point where I literally felt the earth moving under my feet. It was awesome though. I noticed things I wouldn't have ordinarily noticed. The only negative was the insatiable hunger I felt afterwards. For three days, I literally could not get enough food. There wasn't enough food on the planet to make me full. That is probably the thing that will forever keep me from becoming a pothead. XD Yeah! I think she will definitely be able to help me when the time comes. I had lunch with her a few days before she left LA, we talked about a little bit of everything... I learned a lot more than I even intended from her and I am surprised by how quickly our friendship has grown, how intense it became in just under a week, really. Smile And yes! It's a haunted hotel now that stays docked in Long Beach.

Thanks! Smile I will keep that in mind!
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:01 am

That sounds amazing. It's always awesome when you manage to connect. Especially when they are so amazing. I can't wait to see your future career Smile

A haunted hotel!? I know what I am doing next time I am in California!
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Thought I would log in and update on what I've been up to! I just got back from spending about a week in Canada! I will be posting a 2 part blog post on that, first part to be expected within a week.

Some highlights include...

-Getting kidnapped by a couple of Vancouverites on my first day, they saw me studying a map after finishing my first real poutine and came up to me and struck a conversation. They wanted to show me some of the city and I was like, cool! Now they're my friends. (I am the only person I know who actually befriends her kidnappers. This is not the first time that's happened...)

-I am a directionally challenged traveler, first night my phone died and it was dark and the neighborhood I was staying in was confusing... I would have normally been back by 7:30, but I was lost in the right neighborhood for four hours.

-I took the wrong bus several times. Got lost literally more times than I can count... it was awesome. The last evening, I got lost in West End and was looking for a Starbucks for warmth/wifi to figure out how to get back to where I was staying... I found a beach instead.

-PLANE RIDES! I experienced flying for the first (and second and third) times! I absolutely loved them... I was so scared, especially hearing what everyone says. But as it turns out, everyone's least favorite parts are my favorite parts. People warned me about the taking off and landing, but I loved that part because I could feel how fast we were going and it was so cool! I was also warned about turbulence, but that felt like a roller coaster and it was another exciting part. All in all, I just loved how being that high in the sky made me feel. It really made me feel like anything was possible. It felt like magic.

Also to note, I went to Death Valley last month (you can read about that and see some of the pictures here!)

And now I am packing up for my journey from LA back to Fresno tomorrow. Next week I am gonna start a volunteering job with Habitat For Humanity's ReStore, which is a hardware store for low income people, all the inventory is donated by business and individuals and the profits are used to build houses for people in need.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:25 pm

This sounds amazing. I always wanted to visit Canada. I even have some family there but I never made the time(or had the money)

Luckily for me I am like a pigeon. I have great visual memory and I am very good at reading maps so I very rarely get lost. However my memory when it comes to names is very shitty so I can't give directions at all. I barely even know the names of a dozen streets in my cities. The only way I can properly give directions is by saying next to that statue or that returant

Hell yes! I love flying. It's so fascinating! This year I actually saw something super awesome when we were flying . I even took a picture of it. Check it out

Yes this is the shadow of my plane surrounded by a rainbow. It's a cool optical phoenmon called Glory

I was thinking of going to Death Valley when I was in the USA but chose Las Vegas. But dude your blog looks awesome. It's neat,clean and easy to ride. I love it. Have you thought of monetizing it. I have heard that travle blods can make some nice money

And in case you haven't heard of it have joinde the World Nomads site? They have these cool prizes you can win where you can on a profesional phoitograpy trip like this(this one is expired I don't know when they will announce the next one)http://www.worldnomads.com/learn/travel-photography/scholarship/2015?utm_source=worldnomads&utm_medium=email&utm_content=oct15&utm_campaign=scholarshipnews#apply

Dude that's awesome. I was an intern at Habitat for Humanity Smile That's an awesome NGO
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:57 pm

LOL! Yeah, fortunately for me, I actually like getting lost. I get a high off of it. The only time I really used any maps while in Vancouver was if I was looking to go somewhere specific or if I wanted to find my way back to where I was staying... for the most part, I just winged it most days.

Oh, wow. That is incredible! Very Happy

Thank you! I do plan on monetizing it in the future, but for now I'm just doing it as a hobby as I try to figure things out. It won't be for a while until I am able to make anything off of it anyways, considering the audience is so small and it doesn't really get many hits.

I actually have joined World Nomads! That's actually where I got my travel insurance through for my trip to Canada. Their coverage is pretty unbeatable.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:46 am

That's nice Smile

Yeah and it was really freaky to see

I think you will succeed. You have a solid blog

Coolnes!
Rex