Internet Friends

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Internet Friends

Post by maggiemay on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 pm

So I can't remember if this has been a topic or not so I'm making anyways.

We're all obviously online friends and have ones in the past from here, but have any of you had any from other websites?

I made a Formspring account like 3 and a half years ago and got really close with some people on there. I've actually met 6 of them and a few are my best friends. Most people don't know that's how we met though because I didn't think they'd handle it very well.
avatar
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Posts : 1396
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 23
Location : AK Rowdy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 am

My boyfriend and I are very heavily into cars and we've met many people in person from different car message boards and Facebook. All of our best friends are people that we first met on the internet.

_________________


"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
avatar
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Posts : 1392
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 29
Location : New York (No, not the damn city)

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 am

Yeah. I used to be a regular back on these bTVS/Angel boards and I made a few friends. We are still in contact mostly facebook and sometimes we send each other postcards for christmas

I also made a few friends on tumblrs and sometimes we meet irl
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by maggiemay on Thu May 01, 2014 5:23 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:My boyfriend and I are very heavily into cars and we've met many people in person from different car message boards and Facebook. All of our best friends are people that we first met on the internet.

Most of my friends/best friends are from the internet, only like 3 or so aren't. I love how you can connect with people all over the place.

Rex wrote:Yeah. I used to be a regular back on these bTVS/Angel boards and I made a few friends. We are still in contact mostly facebook and sometimes we send each other postcards for christmas

I also made a few friends on tumblrs and sometimes we meet irl

I haven't met anyone through tumblr sadly, but all my internet friends are on my tumblr if they have one. I text most of them pretty frequently. In August a friend and I drove 14 hours to meet another internet friend haha
avatar
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Posts : 1396
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 23
Location : AK Rowdy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Unit7 on Sat May 03, 2014 10:03 am

hmm well other then you fine people, I don't really think so.

Well wait no that's not true. In a MMORPG I used to belong to a really close guild named MoMz... Yeah. Basically I had that in front of my name for quite a while. Stood for Mother of Many Zoo Animals.

Oh but it was such a great guild. For awhile we even had an alliance with Dark Legion, who at the time was one of the bigger PK guilds who claimed a rather a rather nice chunk of the world as their own territory.

Oh what great times. Oh then there was this one guy and we competed to see who would get lvl 100 in some skill before the other. Then the guild leader quit for awhile and the whole guild sorta fell into oblivion.


_________________


Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
avatar
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Posts : 3944
Join date : 2010-05-14
Age : 106
Location : In The Infinite Void of Space

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Sun May 04, 2014 10:43 am

I've exchanged emails with a few people from Omegle (but only the video chat so I at least can put a face to them). Other than that, not really.

I've met people in real life that I originally met on Facebook. But since I lived in smalltown Virginia where everyone knows everyone, they're not really "strangers," so it's not scary.
avatar
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

Posts : 2984
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 23
Location : Colton, CA

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Thu May 08, 2014 11:12 pm

Weirdly enough I am starting to meet more and more people around tumblr. Also now that I think about it I am doing these flashmobs organised through facebook so technically I am meeting those people. Oh also the volunteer thingie is done through the internet and I am meeting people there


Jess I have met so many people over the internet I am astounded I have yet to wake in a bath tub full of ice and with a missing kidney



P.S Can our mods ban the bot?
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri May 09, 2014 12:54 am



P.S Can our mods ban the bot?

I think that has to go through Unit with his almighty admin powers. I don't think I can, otherwise I would have already.

_________________


"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
avatar
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Posts : 1392
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 29
Location : New York (No, not the damn city)

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by melissa052 on Mon May 12, 2014 1:17 am

A couple of my best friends are people I've met on twitter through our mutual love of Doctor Who.

I've also met four people via tumblr right before the Struck By Lightning premiere and met them in person at the premiere. One ended up being a stalker, one I'm really just acquaintances with now, and I feel like I've made lifelong friends out of the other two.

And not that I met him personally online, but my cousin met a friend via xbox live a few years ago and he's visiting the apartment for the week. He is pretty cool! And it definitely opens up my eyes to the possibility of opening up my place to people I've met (that I feel I could trust) online. XD
avatar
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Posts : 2818
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 27
Location : Clovis

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by maggiemay on Mon May 12, 2014 8:08 pm

melissa052 wrote:A couple of my best friends are people I've met on twitter through our mutual love of Doctor Who.

I've also met four people via tumblr right before the Struck By Lightning premiere and met them in person at the premiere. One ended up being a stalker, one I'm really just acquaintances with now, and I feel like I've made lifelong friends out of the other two.

And not that I met him personally online, but my cousin met a friend via xbox live a few years ago and he's visiting the apartment for the week. He is pretty cool! And it definitely opens up my eyes to the possibility of opening up my place to people I've met (that I feel I could trust) online. XD

The stalker thing is super creepy, but so many internet people end up being mostly legit and normal. I've gotten really close with numerous people from the internet and have no problem letting them in my apartment. I love it haha
avatar
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Posts : 1396
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 23
Location : AK Rowdy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by melissa052 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 pm

maggiemay wrote:
melissa052 wrote:A couple of my best friends are people I've met on twitter through our mutual love of Doctor Who.

I've also met four people via tumblr right before the Struck By Lightning premiere and met them in person at the premiere. One ended up being a stalker, one I'm really just acquaintances with now, and I feel like I've made lifelong friends out of the other two.

And not that I met him personally online, but my cousin met a friend via xbox live a few years ago and he's visiting the apartment for the week. He is pretty cool! And it definitely opens up my eyes to the possibility of opening up my place to people I've met (that I feel I could trust) online. XD

The stalker thing is super creepy, but so many internet people end up being mostly legit and normal. I've gotten really close with numerous people from the internet and have no problem letting them in my apartment. I love it haha

Agreed! It's funny because I was mostly raised by my grandma who was a huge pessimist and she, for some reason, believed that everybody on the internet is out for no good and I'd end up dead if I befriended anyone from the internet. Of course, I always knew she was full of shit and that was completely not true. I can understand why she thought that and don't deny it can be a dangerous place if you're not smart about it, but her way of thinking about it was full of shit. Of course, she seemed to believe people/the world/society was generally bad with a little good, whereas I tend to believe people/the world/society is generally good, with a bit of bad to balance it out, because you can't have good without bad.
avatar
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Posts : 2818
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 27
Location : Clovis

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by maggiemay on Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm

melissa052 wrote:
maggiemay wrote:
melissa052 wrote:A couple of my best friends are people I've met on twitter through our mutual love of Doctor Who.

I've also met four people via tumblr right before the Struck By Lightning premiere and met them in person at the premiere. One ended up being a stalker, one I'm really just acquaintances with now, and I feel like I've made lifelong friends out of the other two.

And not that I met him personally online, but my cousin met a friend via xbox live a few years ago and he's visiting the apartment for the week. He is pretty cool! And it definitely opens up my eyes to the possibility of opening up my place to people I've met (that I feel I could trust) online. XD

The stalker thing is super creepy, but so many internet people end up being mostly legit and normal. I've gotten really close with numerous people from the internet and have no problem letting them in my apartment. I love it haha

Agreed! It's funny because I was mostly raised by my grandma who was a huge pessimist and she, for some reason, believed that everybody on the internet is out for no good and I'd end up dead if I befriended anyone from the internet. Of course, I always knew she was full of shit and that was completely not true. I can understand why she thought that and don't deny it can be a dangerous place if you're not smart about it, but her way of thinking about it was full of shit. Of course, she seemed to believe people/the world/society was generally bad with a little good, whereas I tend to believe people/the world/society is generally good, with a bit of bad to balance it out, because you can't have good without bad.

It's important to be careful about it and everybody I met I had known of or talked to for at least a year and a half. I can understand why people are wary of it and that's why most people don't know how I know all these people. It is kind of weird, but it doesn't make our friendships any less than if we had met at school or something. We encountered a lot of fakes just on here and I have elsewhere too so you have to watch for those but they're fewer and farther between than most people realize.
avatar
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Posts : 1396
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 23
Location : AK Rowdy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Unit7 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:35 am

maggiemay wrote:

The stalker thing is super creepy, but so many internet people end up being mostly legit and normal. I've gotten really close with numerous people from the internet and have no problem letting them in my apartment. I love it haha[/quote]

Have you ever heard the phrase "He seemed like such a normal guy, a family man. I mean he went to Church every Sunday...."

That's usually what the Neighbor says after they find a small graveyard in the backyard of the serial killer next door.

Just Saying

_________________


Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
avatar
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Posts : 3944
Join date : 2010-05-14
Age : 106
Location : In The Infinite Void of Space

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:37 am

Just to clear things up. Yes there was a small graveyard in the backyard but that just a coincidence. The bodies there were thousands of years old. We just happened to build on their graves
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Speaking of internet friends, I got to hang out with the majority of my internet/car buddies a couple of weeks ago. GM Nationals car show weekend in PA we always try to get everyone together. It's always the most fun I have all year. Picture a group of 20-50 something year olds acting like 12 year olds on go karts (that's one of our yearly rituals, there's a track right by the hotel we stay at). In addition to go karts, we go to dinner together, break numerous traffic laws together, and go to the show.......and I haven't been kidnapped. Yay! :p

_________________


"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
avatar
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Posts : 1392
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 29
Location : New York (No, not the damn city)

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Nice. I went to one of these online real life meetings as well. Met a few webfriends in real life. Not bad. We pretty much just talk about tv shows and movies. I actually hit it off with one girl and we have become semi friends that hang out now which is cool

Although I wish me and my friends were a bit cooler like you Wink
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by maggiemay on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:56 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:Speaking of internet friends, I got to hang out with the majority of my internet/car buddies a couple of weeks ago. GM Nationals car show weekend in PA we always try to get everyone together. It's always the most fun I have all year. Picture a group of 20-50 something year olds acting like 12 year olds on go karts (that's one of our yearly rituals, there's a track right by the hotel we stay at). In addition to go karts, we go to dinner together, break numerous traffic laws together, and go to the show.......and I haven't been kidnapped. Yay! :p  

Last week I hung out with most of my internet friends. You might've seen pictures on Instagram. I had met them all before but not all 4 of us had been together yet. It was great!
And yay for not being kidnapped haha. It sounds like you guys had a great time! We went to Cedar Point and Kalahari and just hung out one day.
avatar
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Posts : 1396
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 23
Location : AK Rowdy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by melissa052 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Meeting online friends in person is awesome, when you don't get kidnapped. :p

I recently kind of started a thing with one of my newer online friends from a different forum... it's not serious yet, but if it becomes serious, I know we will definitely be meeting at one point or another.
avatar
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Posts : 2818
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 27
Location : Clovis

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 am

Yeah meeting in groups is usually the best since it makes the serial killer chance smaller. Well unless you manage to meet a group of crazy canibals...
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Unit7 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:48 am

Rex wrote:Yeah meeting in groups is usually the best since it makes the serial killer chance smaller. Well unless you manage to meet a group of crazy canibals...

You know I am not entirely sure that follows logic. I mean when you think about it you are actually exposing yourself to even more potential serial killers. or whatever.

Then again, you could unintentionally stop a serial killer, get your name in the news for being a badass.

_________________


Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
avatar
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Posts : 3944
Join date : 2010-05-14
Age : 106
Location : In The Infinite Void of Space

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:55 am

Or join them and become partners and then fall in love ....and I a have been watching too much Dexter
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Unit7 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Rex wrote:Or join them and become partners and then fall in love ....and I a have been watching too much Dexter

Exactly!

Also Dexter is awesome. Though the finale was incredible it was also rather depressing...


_________________


Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
avatar
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Posts : 3944
Join date : 2010-05-14
Age : 106
Location : In The Infinite Void of Space

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:25 am

I actually still haven't watched the finale. Just like I haven't watched the finale of Dollhouse and Tru Calling. I don't like it when shows end and and this way I can pretend they never did
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Unit7 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Rex wrote:I actually still haven't watched the finale. Just like I haven't watched the finale of Dollhouse and Tru Calling. I don't like it when shows end and and this way I can pretend they never did

Wait really? You really should watch the finale of Dexter... I can't comment on Dollhouse simply because I haven't even seen the first episode yet. By the time I really found out about the show it was already doomed to be cancelled. I guess I sorta got what you do. Except when I find a show that's been canceled by the time I discover it, I find it hard to watch. Helps when I know in advance if it was suddenly canceled or if it actually had a chance to end properly

As for Tru Calling...

Damn I actually forgot about that show. And you really arn't missing much by not seeing the finale, simply because you know it was just a season finale forced to be a series finale. All it did was promise a great storyline for next season... oh well.


_________________


Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
avatar
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Posts : 3944
Join date : 2010-05-14
Age : 106
Location : In The Infinite Void of Space

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Rex on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 am

Yeah I know. But you know how it is when you start putting off. Then you half already forgotten half of the season and you need to rewatch it anyway. One of these day when I am extremely bored I will probably just rewatch the whole season with the finale. Ditto for the others

Dollhouse is not bad. The writing could be a bit better but it has Amy Acker and Eliza Dushku Smile And while Eliza is not the acting goddess that is Tatiana Maslany she is still quite good

Yeah I suspect something like this

Oh speaking of shows I just finished watching The Fades. It was pretty good even though it has only six episodes(you know the british series are) and of course there is Natalie Dormer who can make one reconsider their opinion on necrophilia tongue 
avatar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Posts : 2841
Join date : 2010-05-16
Age : 105
Location : 51°10′44″N 1°49′34″W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Friends

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum