In God We Trust / Under God

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In God We Trust / Under God

Post by Unit7 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:10 am

For some reason this has always baffled me. Athiests or anyone really who get upset about In God We Trust being the US motto and found on most of our money and the phrase Under God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Now I will admit right now that I do believe in some form of God. Well most of the time...

But the thing is. I have never understood why people get upset about it? I know there is that whole Seperation of Church and State and everyone having freedom of religion and such. I get that part.

But I still don't see why anyone gives a shit whether or not those phrases are on our money or in our pledge. Alright. I can see why it bugs people. But people have gone to court over this issue. Seriously? Now mostly it's when the schools were teaching the pledge and a Parent, whose Athiest, got all pissed that they were being taught this part of the pledge. Yes. Because Little Bobby is going to be converting to Catholicism and become a priest when he grows up.

From what I remember. I was either too young understand exactly I was doing or I was old enough not to give a shit. I just said it, or mumbled it, or pretended to, because I was told to.

Damn. Brainwashing! I... Well that's it. My quarter with In God We Trust must be sending out little waves of pyschic energy that are you know slowly brainwashing me.

It just seems like a lot of energy and a lot of money going into this issue.

Now I know why it shouldn't be there. I get that part. Legally and constitutionally and if we want to uphold the Treaty of Tripoli it shouldn't be there at all. Maybe that's the simple truth of it. That people are upset that America is just being America... heh.

With all the things that are wrong with America... why is it that it's this issue that people seem to get worked up over? As for me I just don't care if it stays or goes.

Though. If I could change it to anything. I'd probably change it to "In Faith We Trust" 1) Faith was badass. 2) Because it still piss off people. 3) It's a perfect neutral word. Faith in what? It could mean your spiritual faith. It could be the Faith in the government. Faith in Science. Faith in humankind. Faith that one day your team will win the Superbowl. Faith in whatever it is you have faith in.

But yeah... I just can't seem to understand why people actually care enough to start suing people and making it this big issue.

Look. Once the Government starts forcing me to praise God, even if it's one I'd pray to anyways. Then I will understand the contraversy. But the way I see it. That isn't happening. Though I guess you could argue that's what In God We Trust / Under God is doing. It be a thin argument. But I'd just call you weak willed.

But hey what the hell do I know?

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: In God We Trust / Under God

Post by Rex on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 am

Honestly I am kinda baffled as well. Now I am not really an atheist or a theist. My position is that I pretty much don't care at all about religion except in historical or cultural aspect so maybe that's why I lack the passion for this issue but I honestly could care less if country or my money had In God We Trust . Hell if I remember right every prime minister and president around here is sworn alongside a Bible and The Patriarch in a tow and that never bothered me

Now schools on the other hand are a different business. If I am unfortunate enough to get a faulty condom I wouldn't want my kid going around repeating pledges (doesn't matter if there a god or not in it) like mindless drones. Maybe it's because the communist here use to pull the same shit but I absolutely loathe things like this. Well except in situation like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nVUFGSgtaDg#t=194s

With all the things that are wrong with America... why is it that it's this issue that people seem to get worked up over? As for me I just don't care if it stays or goes.

I think that's the point. Focus society on pointless and irrelevant issues like abortion,guns, religion and so on so that society doesn't bother with the truly serious problems of society who are worth a lot of money to a lot of people and the politicians would like to keep them out of sight
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:58 pm

This has been going on for awhile actually. I don't see why it is such a big deal honestly. I do believe in the existence of God, but NOT because I used say the pledge of Intelligence everyday at school. My parents never had a problem with it even though I am sure the God they believe in is different from the one on the pledge of Intelligence, mostly because it is about patriotism, rather than religion. I understand that there are people who don't believe God, and that is their choice, but the words in God we trust on the money is really not a big deal.

It is always been part of our history, that it wouldn't even make sense to get rid of it at some point. It is not like the government is making sure that bible classes are being taught at public schools. ( I have seen a story about that as well) then you can have a fit. But honest to God, the money being spent on the whole law suit can feed so many hungry kids here that couldn't careless what is on the money, as long as they have enough meals to eat.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:21 pm

ayan wrote:
It is always been part of our history, that it wouldn't even make sense to get rid of it at some point.
Actually not really. It was adapted as a way to..... well stick it to the commies I guess back in the 50's. I believe the original motto that this one replaced was "one out of many " or something similar
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Rex wrote:
ayan wrote:
It is always been part of our history, that it wouldn't even make sense to get rid of it at some point.
Actually not really. It was adapted as a way to..... well stick it to the commies I guess back in the 50's. I believe the original motto that this one replaced was "one out of many " or something similar
I stand corrected!!!!

Either way it is way overreacted.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

See that's one thing that bugs me when people try and defend it. Is that people don't know there history. Of course I know very little about it. But Rex is right. Part of the reason these phrases were put there was because of Communisim. Was the begining of the Cold War and America wanted to distinguish itself because apparently communism promotes Atheism.(not sure how true that is) and during the 50's we had the whole Second Red Scare and the McCarthy trials.

Of course I don't think these phrases originated during this time. It was only during the 1950's did the US decide to make these official.

Once I realized what I was saying for the Pledge of Allegiance I was always bugged by the fact that we had to say it. Well luckily most of my teachers never bothered to check if we were all saying it. Though I have heard of one Teacher who got the police involved... which is just... sad.

It always just felt weird that we had to say it at all. Though I doubt I'd complain one way or another about it if I ever had children who is told to say it in class.

But I guess coming from two different areas of the world the opinions on it will be much different.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 pm

I still think this whole thing is stupid, but what if they take under God out of the pledge of Allegiance, because not every student believes in God, but they keep the in God we trust ( I also know not everyone trusts God, but they have to give up something) thing on the money to keep the other party happy. its very silly, but this whole thing is silly to begin with.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:48 am

he begining of the Cold War and America wanted to distinguish itself because apparently communism promotes Atheism.(not sure how true that is)
Yeah that's pretty much correct. But it wasn't so much Atheism for the sake of Atheism but mostly to make sure that the only thing that was worshipped was communism itself and the assholes who were in charge

Though I have heard of one Teacher who got the police involved... which is just... sad.
Yeah a lot of people seem to love abusing the police and legal system in to settle their petty grievances. There should seriously be a law against this

It always just felt weird that we had to say it at all. Though I doubt I'd complain one way or another about it if I ever had children who is told to say it in class.I still think this whole thing is stupid, but what if they take under God out of the pledge of Allegiance,

Honestly I don't understand why people focus so much on the god part instead of the fact that kids are forced to say it at all. That just seems insane to me. I can see China pulling something like this but USA?
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 pm

I certainly don't give a shit.

There are far more important things to bitch about than where God is included. I think it's complete horseshit when children are made to say the Pledge, but I don't think it's necessary to remove it from schools. If a kid doesn't want to say it or if his or her parents have a problem with it, don't make them say it. If a kid does want to, let them. For crying out loud. It's not a difficult concept.

I never said the Pledge of Allegiance. I stood up and pretended in elementary school. And in middle school because my homeroom teacher was a bitch and would give anyone who didn't the death stare and/or flip out. Granted, she had cancer and would have chemo one day and be back teaching the next, so she had a reason to not be in a good mood. Tough old broad. But still. Bitchhhhhhhh. In high school, I flat out refused. I stood with the rest of the class out of respect, but I think it's a stupid ritual so I kept my mouth shut. If I ever have a lack of judgement and reproduce, my kid will have a choice of saying it. If he or she is forced to do anything this dumb or disciplined for not conforming to it, the school district will be getting to know me very well.

The political correctness shit is getting out of hand. A customer told me "God bless you" today when I told her to have a nice weekend. Now, a lot of these assholes who get bent out of shape would get pissed, completely disregarding the nice gesture of the old woman. She wasn't at all forcing her religion on me, she was being nice. She shouldn't have to change herself just like those of us who aren't religious shouldn't have to change ourselves. Something that many douchebags need to learn how to comprehend.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue May 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Thank you Chorus. It's so damn nice to meet normal sane people like you. Honestly I don't understand this either. I mean it's one thing when someone tries to force you to follow their faith ideology or whatever. It's understandable to be pissed about this

But to rage because someone is simply living their life the way they want to is just stupid. As long as people don't force their beleifs on me and don't hurt anybody I say live and let live
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top