Gahh DAMNIT!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gahh DAMNIT!

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 pm

My $800 computer that I just bought in November died on Tuesday. It was working completely fine, I haven't had any problems with it at all, and when I got home from class, it wouldn't turn on. When I pressed the on button, the keyboard lights would light up along with the light around the touchpad and then after a couple seconds, made a click noise and shut off. Then it repeated it over and over until I took the battery out. I tried calling HP tech support and after about 20 minutes between holding and trying to get the heavily accented Indian dude to understand what I was saying enough for him to get my information down (he kept thinking that I was saying "F" instead of "S" when I was spelling my last name and email address), I lost my freakin' signal because this apartment is evil. So I went outside and called back. The heavily accented Indian dude I got that time was a little better, we could understand each other, however, he said that I was all broken up and staticy to do anything and asked if I could call from another phone. We don't have a land line. So I tried my boyfriend's phone and it was staticy on my end. GAH! So I asked on Facebook to see if the Geek Squad was any good. Somebody said they wouldn't wish it on their worst enemy and another recommended Staples. So I took it to Staples on Wednesday. $70 just to diagnose. It sucked, but whatever. I need my damn computer. Didn't hear anything from them so I called today at work during my break and apparently it's a big problem and they would have to send it to a third party for repair for $369. They think it's the motherboard. Lovely. So I told them to wait to do anything with it, I'd call them back and let them know. I had to talk to my mom about it because I can't afford that shit. So I vented to my co-worker who said that it should be covered under some kind of warranty; since I've only had it four months. I figured that I didn't have one because I opted out of purchasing a warranty because my last laptop worked fantastic for 5 years, still works slowly. So does my HP desktop from 2002. So after work I stopped at my mom's and hopped on to the HP website to find a number to call and ask and found that I could do a live chat with the support staff. Yes! No miscommunication! Turns out it actually IS covered and they're sending me a shipping label and packing materials. Hopefully I can have my dear computer back up and running in a couple weeks.

If it is the motherboard, anyone have any idea if I'm going to lose all of my stuff; pictures, music, etc? I still have everything from before 4 months ago on my old computer, so it won't be too horribly devastating. Most of my pictures from the last 4 months are on Facebook and my music is on CDs. It was just a major pain in the ass transferring 5 years of my life over.

This is even more funny because I got asked about the weather when I was chatting with tech support. I was so tempted to ask where he was..."Florida? California?"....India. "You mean like, Indiana?"

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: Gahh DAMNIT!

Post by Unit7 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Wow that is just horrible. Sad

Computers can be very evil. Sad

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 pm

That is awful, I hope it works just fine.

I recently watched a video an tech support thingy. It was bunch of people in India and they were being trained by American companies. They were teaching them American accents, they taught them all, but they told them to use Midwestern accent, because that is the most "understandable" one. Also they were giving them American names such as Steve, bob, Micheal, Will, Jack. And they had to say they were from one of the fifty states. It was one of the most interesting, bizarre thing I had ever seen. lol

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm

That seems like a bit extreme... I don't care if the guy or girl is living in some cave. I just want to beable to understand them and for them to understand me oh and know what they are doing. Razz

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Unit7 wrote:Wow that is just horrible. Sad

Computers can be very evil. Sad

Yes. Evil. This computer was supposed to last me another 5 years at least, I ordered it with 8GB of RAM and a 750GB hard drive so that I wouldn't have problems with memory like I did with my old one. Hopefully they're able to make it work like it did; it was awesome.

ayan wrote:That is awful, I hope it works just fine.

I recently watched a video an tech support thingy. It was bunch of people in India and they were being trained by American companies. They were teaching them American accents, they taught them all, but they told them to use Midwestern accent, because that is the most "understandable" one. Also they were giving them American names such as Steve, bob, Micheal, Will, Jack. And they had to say they were from one of the fifty states. It was one of the most interesting, bizarre thing I had ever seen. lol

That's just weird. I suppose the accent part could be helpful, but I think saying that they're from the states is going a little overboard. But, it was very helpful to be able to speak with "Shadab I" via chat so I didn't have to struggle with communication. It's odd, I'm usually able to understand different accents really well, but over the phone it's just really difficult for some reason.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 am

Damn that sucks. I know the feeling. I had to replace my entire hard disk a few weeks. Sucked. Thankfully I have everything backed up on dvd's and flashdrives so it's not much of a big deal but still so annoying

And I never understood the whole Indian tech support thing. I mean I get that it's cheap but I have spoken with Indians and they have the most brutal English accent ever. They should really try to go South America, africa , Russia or Eastern Europe for tech support. Much easier to understand the people
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 pm

You know thats a good question.

Why India of all places?

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Well India has over a billion people. It's not just that they only outsource to India, but with that many people, they're gonna have tons of people looking for jobs.

And they're Asian, of course. They know their computers... Razz
Though I guess China would work in that case as well, and they have even more people than India. O_o
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Speaking of the Indian accent my cousin once told me somewhat of a mean joke/statement. English (as in the language) was born in England, raised in the US, retired in Africa, and died in India. ):

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:Well India has over a billion people. It's not just that they only outsource to India, but with that many people, they're gonna have tons of people looking for jobs.

And they're Asian, of course. They know their computers... Razz
Though I guess China would work in that case as well, and they have even more people than India. O_o

True but the accent....I mean dear god it's insane.....although I guess you are right. They do have a mini silicon valley thing going on there
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum