American Universities and loans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

American Universities and loans

Post by Rex on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:11 pm

You know recently I have been talking with a few people from the USA and they all told me how not just them but quite a few people they know have to take something called a student loan so they can afford the university. And apparently this is a very crappy thing since after they graduate they are in quite a big debt. It can range anything from 15k$ to over a hundred thousand dollars in some cases. Something which can be devastating especially if you don't find a job soon after you graduate

So I am curious for one thing. Why are people so willing to basically screw up their lives for this? I mean I can understand the super duper unis like Harvard and so on. But from what I understand a lot of people are taking loans and giving an awful lot of money even for more average universities.

Which begs the question why isn't it more popular for Americans to simply go to Europe for a cheaper and sometimes even free education? I am kinda really curious about this. I mean I know there is the language barrier in some cases since not all Americans are interested in foreign langauges but I think learning a new language can be worth sparing yourself tens of thousands of dollars in debt

Have any of you guys considered this option?
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: American Universities and loans

Post by ayan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 pm

College is expensive in the states. while I was fortunate enough to have my father pay for my tuition, I have a lot of friends that took out loan. They have to start paying 6 to 9 months after they graduate, which might suck because they might not get a job. The sad thing is that the interest rate goes up as time goes. So you end up paying more money than you took out. Why they don't go to other countries I don't know, but even if some do study abroad, everyone can't do it. I mean am sure if they can't afford tuition, they can't afford to buy a plane ticket, live in a new country, pay rent etc. Though if the education is free there, it would defiantly be worth it. Go figure.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:27 pm

I go to a state university in the state that I live in, so it's nowhere near as expensive as other schools. My tuition is rather cheap, after financial aid I only had to come up with about $1500 a semester, I think. Although, due to my crappy semester in the fall and academic warning status, the state took back their aid so I owe the school another grand...Still haven't dropped that one on my mom yet, she pays my tuition. If I can't get my GPA up by next semester and get my financial aid back, I'll probably have to get a loan, but it won't be too horrible.

At just over $3000 a semester (before aid), for me it would be more expensive to leave the country after adding up travel and living expenses.

Tuition cost is pretty much why I gave up on my first choice in majors. I didn't get into the closest state school that offers social work and my only other option other than going farther away and getting a dorm *cringes* was Syracuse University. As far as I'm concerned, they can take their 20 grand a semester and shove it. Honestly, I'd rather buy a Charger.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah this kind of situation makes sense to me. But paying 20k a semester and doing it by taking a loan of all those things? That seems insane to me. I would be rushing to find alternatives. Especially abroad. That's why I am surprised I pretty much never see this in any show
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:37 pm

I don't understand it either. If I chose to go to SU, I'd be $40,000 in the hole right now. I can have my new Dodge Charger that I've been eyeballing for $28,000 that regularly goes for about 40K new. They just dropped the price because it's a 2011 and they're trying to get rid of it. GAHH I want it. I'd rather have that than an education at a snazzy overpriced college. Too bad my mom will help out with the education but not the new car :p

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top