Kony 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kony 2012

Post by Unit7 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 am

On another forum I visit posted this video. At first I was only planning to watch a few minutes to get the gist of it. But I watched the whole thing.

If you are to lazy to watch the video then here is the gist of it.

1) Kony is the leader of the Lords Resistance Army(LRA)
2) Kony over the past 26 years has abducted children.
3) Boys become soldiers who are forced to do horrific things.
4) Girls become sex slaves.
5) The video wants to make Kony famous and give this issue the attention it deserves.

I have been aware of Children Soldiers for awhile now. But for some reason I had never actually given it my full attention before. Part of me I guess always hoped it was more or less a myth. But I always knew it happens. I found it simply appaling that when this guy went to the US Government the first time that they said they wouldn't help out. As the narrator(not sure his name) pointed out that if his son had been abducted for any reason, let alone to become a child soldier, the Government sure as hell would give a damn. But it also just leaves the impression that the only reason the US has been given the title 'World Police'(almost never said in a positive way) because while they sometimes claim noble goals, its usually about the money. Now sure sometimes its in the interest of national security... but chances are money and resources are probably an added perk somewhere.

Now some people do not like the idea of the US or any country for that matter acting as a Sheriff of the World. I understand why. Why should such a country meddle in the affairs of another?

But then there is Kony and the LRA and the countless lives he has ruined and will continue to do so unless someone puts an end to it.

Its problems like this where I believe a country with the power to put an end to it, should stand up and put on the badge. Especially if the country that its taking place in would request help and would be thrilled to have such an alliance.

Am I making any sense?

anyways I thought I'd share this video and um some of my thoughts.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Kony 2012

Post by Rex on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 am

Yeah I am also surprised at how many people haven't heard of this guy. He is quite notorious. But on the bright side the internet seems to be picking speed when it comes to him lately

But it also just leaves the impression that the only reason the US has been given the title 'World Police'(almost never said in a positive way) because while they sometimes claim noble goals, its usually about the money

It's not just money. It's mostly influence. Essentially it's politics at it's barest

For example. Give economic aid to farmers in a poor African country. But they can only recieved the aid if they buy specific genetically modified seeds offered by certain companies. Now in turn for example these Africans can't sell their crop to a lot of EU countries because there GM crops are banned which forces them to sell at lower prices to other countries

Or for example gie specific military and political aid in exchange for owning UN votes or major decisions like ICC(there was some very blunt politics going there)

And that's it how it goes essentially. All countries powerful enough to get away with it do it. It's how the world works. As for this guys sadly it's probably more profitable to negotiate with him then to depose him. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few countries are actually financing him as well

It's a sad fact but that's politics for you
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:59 am

I watched it last night about 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep afterwords. I have never heard of him until now and in away I blame myself. I felt so sad watching the kid say he rather be dead than live there. I have seen a video on the daily show where Rush limbough was going crazy because Obama sent some troops to Uganada. I now know the reason behind it, and I hope he gets captured.

The sad thing is you will never see this kind of stuff on American media, but we get an ongoing cover on the death of Whitney Houston, Charlie sheen going crazy, and Iran being a big bad wolf. The massacre of Syria. I feel bad for the people there, but their lives aren't worth more than the lives of children of Uganda. Why did we help Libya? and the republicans are saying lets bomb Syria, and get rid of Assad, why can't we do the same for Uganda? Getting this guy would a lot easier since they are basically farmers that live in the bushes. It is very SAD.

On a lighter note I thought his son was super duper cute.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 am

The sad thing is you will never see this kind of stuff on American media,
Yeah why is that? I mean I am not a big news junkie or anything but when I was in California I had never felt so isolated from the rest of the world. There was almost no news about anything other then USA. I felt like the rest of the world had disappeared. It was really weird. Of course I know there is no comparison since around here in Europe we can basically go to another country for lunch(I have actually done that) while the USA is huge and has only Mexico and Canada but still it felt really strange

The massacre of Syria. I feel bad for the people there, but their lives aren't worth more than the lives of children of Uganda

Well Syria is a bit more important due to it's location and neighboring countries as well as the impact this can have on the region as well as the whole being part of the Arab Spring

Why did we help Libya?
Mostly because Lybia has the largest reserves of oil in Africa and the eight largest in the world with a very low cost of oil production and very close to European markets. And there are also supposedly a lot of untapped and unexplored regions which could yield a lot of oil but they were hard to research due to the problematic regime they had. There is also it's very strategic location to the neighboring countries

Getting this guy would a lot easier since they are basically farmers that live in the bushes. It is very SAD.
Sadly getting rid of a dictator is quite often much easier then going after religious guerrilla fighters . Getting a dictator is kinda like taking down a big rabid dog. It's dangerous but you know where to hit it. Trying to get rid of LRA is like trying to get rid of all the cockroaches in a scrap yard. Sure it's possible but it will get very very dirty. Not to mention it will be very hard for western soldiers. I mean just look at them now. They have a very low casualty rate compared to past wars, they have an unprecedented ability to communicate with their loved ones and much more entertainment then before and yet war is very hard on them. Because war is always hard. But imagine if these same poor boys are forced to kill children. Can you imagine how devastating this would be? And what the media would do with this? It will be a nigthmare. I doubt nay politician would willingly go through with this

And never underestimate farmers. Just look at the Boer wars
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Because war is always hard. But imagine if these same poor boys are forced to kill children. Can you imagine how devastating this would be? And what the media would do with this? It will be a nigthmare. I doubt nay politician would willingly go through with this

This is what makes Kony truly an evil bastard. I mean even if a country is willing to go in armed against him.... a large part of his army are going to be kids. You'd be asking far to much for any one soldier to actually take up arms against kids. It doesn't matter if they are fully aware that the kids won't hesitate for a single second... its going to just be horrible on the soldiers on the ground mentally far more then it would be if it was a grown man.

Of course then there is the media like you said. They would have a field day on such a topic. US soldiers killing children? Enemies of the US would also love this because it further gives them a reason to hate us.

Of course they wouldn't need to use lethal methods to bring them in. But there would be casualties. But a non lethal method of attacking anything but adults would prove to be harder then if it were a bunch of grown men.

I have seen a video on the daily show where Rush limbough was going crazy because Obama sent some troops to Uganada. I now know the reason behind it, and I hope he gets captured.

If Rush Limbough had given the reasons behind Obama's decision to send troops into Uganda he would have lost quite a bit of support. At least I hope so. Mostly because I'd hate to see however many supporters this guy has to be that cruel to children.

Also who are you hoping to get captured? Wink (joke ofc)

I'll probably respond to more of this later.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I agree with Rex. How are people just now finding out about this guy? I've been attempting to spread the word for the past 3 years. And just NOW it's getting viral. It's all over Facebook and a ton of meme sights.

Better late than never, I guess. Hopefully this asshole will be stopped soon. Or maybe we'll have to wait till I start my missionary work in Uganda. It's my destiny, guys. Razz
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:59 pm

It is true Rex we (US) had more at stake in Libya than we have in Uganda, but that doesn't change the fact that it is morally wrong. The people of Libya aren't worth more than those innocent children. Hopefully we help out more and he (KONY Laughing ) gets captured.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:I agree with Rex. How are people just now finding out about this guy? I've been attempting to spread the word for the past 3 years. And just NOW it's getting viral. It's all over Facebook and a ton of meme sights.

Better late than never, I guess. Hopefully this asshole will be stopped soon. Or maybe we'll have to wait till I start my missionary work in Uganda. It's my destiny, guys. Razz

Goood luck!!!!! I am going to Africa as well, not for missionary work but to visit. Haha My grandmother from my mom's side is from East Africa.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm

I've never heard of Kony, or really much of anything going on in Uganda or really anywhere else in Africa. I know that rape is extremely common in South Africa; I read somewhere that there is a myth that having sex with an infant cures AIDS. But I had no idea about this prick and the mass kidnapping of children.

It kind of makes me angry at the media here, even more so than usual. Apparently Snooki's pregnancy or who the Kardashians are currently fucking is more important, or even Global Warming and bitching about gas prices(be thankful you have a car, asshole), guilting people into buying ugly ass hybrid cars. Perhaps they should make people aware of humans who are suffering NOW. Put effort into saving children who are being raped, tortured, and forced into doing horrible things, instead of worrying about the damn polar bears.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 am

Yay I was kinda shocked at the insane statistics coming from South Africa. You would think that an industrialized country would have more a grip on these things but damn. Going by these statistics and those are of people who actually admit to rape(I can only imagine how many more hide it) there is a pretty good chance that the majority of man in South Africa are rapist. I mean I hope that this is wrong but sadly I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. I mean can you imagine that a woman in South Africa is more likely to be raped then finish secondary school? Not to mention the disgusting thing called corrective rape which apparently was invented over there

Well to be fair the media goes for what gets the most audience so in the end it's really the people. It may feel wrong but people prefer to listen to either good news or the kinda of nasty news they can use to bash people and feel good about their own views.

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top