USA Schools

View previous topic View next topic Go down

USA Schools

Post by Rex on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 am

So I was watching this random movie and there was the usual moment with every high school movie where the students got detention. I have seen this in a LOT of movies and detention seems to be this weird thing where let the student just sit around for an hour. So I am curious does this punishment exist in real life as well or is just a movie thing? Because it seems really weird. Don't really see the point in it
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: USA Schools

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 am

Indeed it does. Apparently wasting time is supposed to be a punishment, even though it's the top activity of American students. In most schools it's just basically a study hall after school, they usually make you do homework or something of the sort. But if you have nothing to do, it turns into just hanging out and raising more hell with your fellow "bad kids" I think it's more effective in the lower grades; in my school it was basically a "time out" during lunch. Kids had to eat in a separate room and couldn't go to recess.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Except you don't do nothing, you do homework and if you don't have homework you read.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:58 am

....damn now I kinda wish I was in the USA school system. This sounds so much better. Hell this doesn't sound like a punishment at all. Hell it sounds so practical. A great way to get yourself to study
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Yes! they exist. They send you to this stupid room where you can't do anything, but homework. I was sent to the detention for few time because I had this devil of a teacher. It is not fun! you just stare at the clock and you know what they say, a watched pot never boils.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh they exist. I had to sit for an hour and just stare. We couldn't do a thing. It was awful.
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:18 am

Really? Why? Sounds just class minus a teacher droning on. Seems like a really great way to get away with it
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:53 am

They saw it as punishment. Make you sit, be quiet and not move with your hands folded on the table. I guess it was torture. It was just boring more than anything. And, Crusher, one of our hall monitors always watched. She'd just sit there and eyeball everyone. Mr. Taylor was our best hall man! When he had DT he would make us sit 5 min and send us on our ways.
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:35 pm

It is not fun at all. I remember the teacher that always gave me detention was the one that watched. He took away our phones, and books, no one could read for fun. No one could say anything, it was boring beyond imagination. I still hate the man. One day he talked to me and asked me which country I would like to visit, and I told him North Korea because I was being honest. He then calls my mom tells her I talked in detention and that I want to go to North Korea... Then he put me in detention again just for that.... Evil SOB

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Wait that stuff actually happens? I mean I have seen that sort of thing in movies where a teacher or someone asks a question and then get punished for speaking. Its a messed up world alright.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Yea. I swear he was always after me. Even in his class when I would raise my hand to answer a question he would ignore me. Eventually I stopped trying. He wasn't just mean to me, he was mean to a lot of people. The sad thing is the principle loved him, so he never got into any trouble.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soap on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:54 am

--

Last edited by Soap on Sat May 24, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:54 am

Wow I am really envious of all of you. Here it's simple. If you really piss off a teacher they can kick you out of class which brings an automatic unexcused absence. 5 unexcused absences you get a warning. 10 unexcused absences you go to the principal. 15 unexcused abscesses and your kicked out of school. And that's pretty much it
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soap on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:03 am

eh

Last edited by Soap on Sat May 24, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 am

Ehh I never really saw the whole competing with each other as that big of a deal. School should prepare it's students the best way possible for life and the job market. Academic competitions and so on have their place as well but I think they are only of secondary importance to getting a proper education for the market you are planning to work in
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top