Take two seconds and help a sista out

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Take two seconds and help a sista out

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:11 pm

http://united-states-association-of-reptile-keepers.rallycongress.com/5799/no-on-fws-python-rule-bad-american-small-business-families-alread/

If you're in the United States, do me a favor and sign the petition. Dickheads in the FWS have made a proposal to ban large snakes. It would be a huge blow the the reptile industry and it would suck major balls for reptile owners, like myself and my boyfriend, who plan on getting a red tailed boa in the future. If we did manage to get our hands on a boa, we certainly wouldn't be able to move to another state, as it would be a felony and I refuse to give away any of my pets. Help stop these a-holes with a snake phobia from screwing with my dreams.

A key argument for the ban is that large constrictors are dangerous. Yeah, if you starve them, or house them improperly, like the idiots who got their child killed. Responsible reptile owners shouldn't have to give up their animals or businesses because of other people's stupidity. A quick Google search shows that there were 31 deaths in the United States caused by dogs last year. There have been less deaths caused by large constrictors in the last 20 years combined. Where's the dog ban proposal?

Another argument is the problem in the Everglades. Large snakes not native to the country are eating everything. Perhaps they should require a registration to own one. And even a required class to get the registration to own a large snake, teaching correct housing and care. Microchip pets. All of these extra expenses and hoops to jump through would weed out the idiots who want a pet Anaconda just to be "cool", who let them go when they get too big. An all out ban isn't the answer.

Now obviously the average person shouldn't go out and buy a reticulated python that can get up to 30 feet or a 15 foot Burmese, or an Anaconda for crying out loud, but the option shouldn't be taken away from responsible people who have the means to care for the large creatures. And I'll be rather pissed if we're unable to get our boa. We'll be naming him Squiggles.

So please take two seconds and sign; there needs to be 25,000 signatures by tomorrow. We're at about 21,900.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: Take two seconds and help a sista out

Post by ayan on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:45 pm

I just sent one to my senator...I dislike snakes very much! but that's not reason to ban them!

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 pm

I can understand banning large dogs. Those things are dangerous for kids. If I ever had go crazy and have kids the last thing I want to see them is playing in a park surrounded by dogs who are the size of wolves but snakes? Especially non venomous snakes? That doesn't make sense to me so I am in.

In case you need to pretend to be from the USA you can get a USA street from google maps for the peition signing thing
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:28 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:http://united-states-association-of-reptile-keepers.rallycongress.com/5799/no-on-fws-python-rule-bad-american-small-business-families-alread/

If you're in the United States, do me a favor and sign the petition. Dickheads in the FWS have made a proposal to ban large snakes. It would be a huge blow the the reptile industry and it would suck major balls for reptile owners, like myself and my boyfriend, who plan on getting a red tailed boa in the future. If we did manage to get our hands on a boa, we certainly wouldn't be able to move to another state, as it would be a felony and I refuse to give away any of my pets. Help stop these a-holes with a snake phobia from screwing with my dreams.

A key argument for the ban is that large constrictors are dangerous. Yeah, if you starve them, or house them improperly, like the idiots who got their child killed. Responsible reptile owners shouldn't have to give up their animals or businesses because of other people's stupidity. A quick Google search shows that there were 31 deaths in the United States caused by dogs last year. There have been less deaths caused by large constrictors in the last 20 years combined. Where's the dog ban proposal?

Another argument is the problem in the Everglades. Large snakes not native to the country are eating everything. Perhaps they should require a registration to own one. And even a required class to get the registration to own a large snake, teaching correct housing and care. Microchip pets. All of these extra expenses and hoops to jump through would weed out the idiots who want a pet Anaconda just to be "cool", who let them go when they get too big. An all out ban isn't the answer.

Now obviously the average person shouldn't go out and buy a reticulated python that can get up to 30 feet or a 15 foot Burmese, or an Anaconda for crying out loud, but the option shouldn't be taken away from responsible people who have the means to care for the large creatures. And I'll be rather pissed if we're unable to get our boa. We'll be naming him Squiggles.

So please take two seconds and sign; there needs to be 25,000 signatures by tomorrow. We're at about 21,900.

Sorry, snakes are lovely and as you know, contrary to what people believe, they are not slimy, but have a delightful satiny feel. But, anyway this is why I am so disgusted with our government. They seem to want to CONTROL everything (From what light bulbs we can buy - the ones they want us to get are only made in China by the way - to our companion animals.) Hope it works out. And that snake on here is gorgeous.
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

View user profile http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks so much to those of you that signed. This particular proposal is actually just to ban the import and transportation of large pythons and boas across state lines. So if I were to buy my red tail boa, I would have to give up my dream of moving out of state, or smuggle the snake and risk being charged with a felony. If I picked a state and then bought a boa, I would be stuck in that state for 20 to 30 years. Not to mention, it would kill the reptile business, as many breeders do a lot of business online and ship out of state (my personal favorite: www.bobclark.com ). There have been other proposals calling for the complete ban which have failed, this is a sad, sorry last effort to get their way. Like I said, I support restrictions, but banning is stupid.

Rex wrote:I can understand banning large dogs. Those things are dangerous for kids. If I ever had go crazy and have kids the last thing I want to see them is playing in a park surrounded by dogs who are the size of wolves but snakes? Especially non venomous snakes? That doesn't make sense to me so I am in.

You can buy a Gaboon viper at a southern reptile expo for under $200. They have 2 inch fangs that release hemotoxic venom that can make you bleed out in under 10 minutes(If I was nuts enough to get a venomous snake, that's what I'd pick, they look cool as hell). But those pythons. Oh nooo. I sort of get being nervous around large constrictors, because they could easily kill you. Shit, an adult reticulated python could easily swallow me. But what people don't understand is that they aren't out to get them. If properly cared for and precautions are taken, constrictors aren't nearly as dangerous as people make them out to be. I gained a new respect for large snakes when I held a hog island boa at the last expo my boyfriend and I went to; it's clear that I won't be handling our future boa by myself when he's full grown, I could feel the power in the hog island's muscles draped over my shoulders. He'd not only cause suffocation, but he'd probably break my ribs while he was at it.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 pm

(From what light bulbs we can buy - the ones they want us to get are only made in China by the way - to our companion animals.)
Small things matter because they add up. Changing the type of light bulbs 300 million people use can have an ENORMOUS amount of influence. Can save again an ENORMOUS amount of energy. Which means needing less energy. Which means less pollution, less expenses for the population which in turn raises their spending ability and thus stimulates the economy and so many more benefits

As for pets. Yes they have to be regulated. When you don't get things like this asshole

Which once we get over how cool it looks is extremely insane. And yes it has to be regulated

Instead of spouting conservative propaganda like a good little drone you might want to try using your brain

You can buy a Gaboon viper at a southern reptile expo for under $200. They have 2 inch fangs that release hemotoxic venom that can make you bleed out in under 10 minutes(If I was nuts enough to get a venomous snake, that's what I'd pick, they look cool as hell). But those pythons. Oh nooo. I sort of get being nervous around large constrictors, because they could easily kill you. Shit, an adult reticulated python could easily swallow me. But what people don't understand is that they aren't out to get them. If properly cared for and precautions are taken, constrictors aren't nearly as dangerous as people make them out to be. I gained a new respect for large snakes when I held a hog island boa at the last expo my boyfriend and I went to; it's clear that I won't be handling our future boa by myself when he's full grown, I could feel the power in the hog island's muscles draped over my shoulders. He'd not only cause suffocation, but he'd probably break my ribs while he was at it.

Well that is disturbing but a great plot for a murder mystery

And yeah constrictors are dangerous but unlike dogs people don't walk them in the park. Cases are if you killed by a boa it's because you went to him not the other way around
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

It's not lookin' good peeps.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/16/2592593/us-set-to-approve-python-ban.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks again for helping out. But it looks like the reptile community is about to take another loss. They're making this about Florida and screwing over the entire country. I love how they fail to mention that for the last couple winters, FL has seen periods of freezing temperatures resulting in the death of a huge portion of the problem pythons. At least they are allowing breeders to continue. Regulations out the ass, but it's not a total loss. Sigh. Looks like I might have to wait on getting a boa for a couple extra years. I wanted to get one somewhat soon so we wouldn't still be taking care of a 8-9 foot snake when we're 60. They live 20-30 years. 40 in rare cases.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 am

I am curious. How well do snakes do on their own? I know that it's a huge problem for people who own cats and dogs when they go on a vacation and have to find someone to take care of their place. Is it easier with snakes?
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Snakes are extremely easy. They can go several months without eating, especially the bigger ones. We feed our small ones once a week and the bigger ones that eat rats go every two weeks. Our milk snake just ate last week for the first time since October; she's been picky lately, our snake guy thinks it just might be the time of year. You can easily take a vacation without worry, as long as they're kept warm and have plenty of water. When Devin and I went to Maine for a few days, we just had his mom check in on them to make sure they had water. She didn't even need to, they were fine.

And SUCCESS! For me anyway. They didn't include boas on the list.
http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/Salazar-Announces-Ban-on-Importation-and-Interstate-Transportation-of-Four-Giant-Snakes-that-Threaten-Everglades.cfm

Idiots. It just goes to show how stupid these people are. How the hell are they not going to include the reticulated python, when they're the biggest snake in the world and have just as big of a chance of getting established in the wild. Only reason why they aren't is because they aren't as common for pets. They will be now that people can't get Burmese. I find it funny that they banned the yellow anaconda as well and not the green, that gets bigger.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm

It's just amazing how people think that they can tell others what animals they can and cannot have (aside from exotic animals of course). I have never seen any problems with reptile owners as long as they properly take care of them and house them properly. I loved playing with my biology teacher's snakes that he had when I was in high school. We even go to feed them.
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am

Well to be fair exotic is very subjective. Some larger breeds of dog are bigger and more dangerous to humans then a cheetah. So exotic doesn't always translate into more dangerous .

I think regulations should be according to common sense. and a level of danger an animal presents for the general public.
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Exotic doesn't equal dangerous. All of the birds you find in pet store are exotic and they aren't going to kill you.

Reptiles are just misunderstood. Snakes especially. I've heard from countless people that the only good snake is a dead snake. That's why I openly refer to cats and small dogs as snake food; not that I'd ever feed either of those animals to a snake, I just want those people to feel as uncomfortable as I do when they say ignorant, stupid, just plain mean things about reptiles. I almost punched a customer at work once for saying that if she saw a snake on her property she would run over it with her car. But if it was something furry, oh no, it would be a crisis if anyone intentionally hurt it. It's disgusting.

Rex wrote:
I think regulations should be according to common sense. and a level of danger an animal presents for the general public.

Absolutely. This ban that was just approved is nationwide. It was started because of the Burmese python issues they're having in Florida. There is absolutely no reason why it should apply to the northern states; these types of snakes require heat and humidity to survive. There's no way a single Burmese would survive in the wild up here, let alone reproduce and establish a population. Each state already has regulations in place, in FL you aren't even supposed to have these pythons at all; a federal ban on transporting them was not necessary.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Amanda, you white. Why you be callin' yoself a sista? Razz

Anywayyy... I'm afraid I'm too late. I signed though. Not sure if it'll count since it's past the 15th. But that sucks balls. I'm really not into snakes (I'm not scared of them--I'm just a catlady, exclusively), but if you are, more power to you. I can only imagine how sucky it would've been if there had been a ban on interstate cat transportation when I moved to Virginia. My cats are my babies, and I too would never get rid of them. I don't really understand your love of snakes, but if you love them as much as I love cats (and I'm sure you and many others do), I can see why you feel so strongly about such a stupid law.

I wish all the snake people the best. Hopefully the government will become slightly less stupid some time in the near future.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Ayyy don' be hatin'! Wink

It is too late, but thanks for signing anyway. USARK is planning on raising funds to sue and try and get it overturned. I feel bad for people who have any of the four snakes listed and want to move out of state. It's now a felony for them to take their snakes with them. I'd be screwed if one of mine got listed; I think we'll hold off on our boa just in case until we get settled in whatever state we plan on planting our asses for the next 30 years or so because the dickheads are still going to try and get the other large snakes added. We could probably smuggle him, especially if he's still a baby(A 9 foot snake might be a challenge), but I'm positive some asshole would turn us in.

AHHHH snakezilla! tongue

My serpents are like my children. I could never leave any of them behind. Mr Meshuggah here is my little buddy, I always have him out with my while I'm studying of doing homework. He cuddles up next to me just like a cat would.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 pm

On the bright side imagine how gangsta it would feel to smuggle them across a border

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top