So... do you read the Terms and Conditions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So... do you read the Terms and Conditions?

Post by Unit7 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:07 am

So we all know if you download software or signup for something there is always that lengthy text describing the terms and conditions for using that product.

Now to behonest. I take one look at that and say 'Screw it' and just click the accept. For a long time I have always wondered just how many other people just check accept and continue on. Now after watching a South Park episode, which was also featured a human centipede parody, focused on how stan or kyle I forget failed to read the terms and conditions before downloading the latest iTunes. Burried somewhere in its that large text said Apple had the right to use you in experiments... such as a human centipede like... stuff. Now if you don't know what this is. Good for you. Never google it.

Recently I read a article where some online store or something as part of a April Fools gag or something put a clause in the T&C where you effectively sign over your own soul. Of course they also later sent out emails nullifying this part or something...

But it makes me wonder.

What have i accidentally signed away? I mean do I even own my own hair? Sad

See I figured for the most part they were mostly the same.

But yeah I still have yet to actually read any of these. For all I know I have given the OK for some crazy doctor to do cruel and humiliating experiments on me. Sad

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: So... do you read the Terms and Conditions?

Post by melissa052 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Not at all! Never even crosses my mind, honestly! I remember one time I was updating iTunes and my cousin was here, trying to make me read it but I was like "Fuck that shit. Just click accept!" XD

I've actually heard somewhere that "Ive read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions" is actually the #1 lie.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 pm

I may have skimmed through it once. But actually reading the whole thing, nope.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:43 pm

I can't say that I have ever read the Terms and Conditions of anything. lol
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:23 am

I pretty much always read them when it comes to things I am not familiar with. However with known things like firefox, skype etc I generally just skim them and make sure I unclick any additional software they try to attach
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Rex wrote:I pretty much always read them when it comes to things I am not familiar with. However with known things like firefox, skype etc I generally just skim them and make sure I unclick any additional software they try to attach

Wow I never expected to meet someone who actually reads them. Razz

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 am

Always good to know what your signing. Especially with more unknown software who often tries to slip you a few things.

And then there are some very funny cases like this Wink

http://www.cracked.com/article_19162_6-hilarious-ways-game-designers-are-screwing-with-pirates_p2.html
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Wow thats hillarious. Very Happy

Hmm... so far I have never taken a survey but... uh... I am really hoping a screenshot of my screen was released. Because I can explain the whole clown with a ... eh... nvm. Sad

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:44 pm

From what I've read (not the actual terms because I'm lazy, but I've read articles), iTunes has some really scary shit in their terms. It's obviously not them getting your permission to sew you in an ass-to-mouth chain, but pretty damn close. Anything you buy from Apple belongs to the corporation, not you. That iPod? Theirs. Your new Macbook? Theirs again. If they somehow find out that you've done something against their terms and conditions (like jailbreaking your iPod or using your computer for something illegal), they can shut it down. No questions asked. You don't really own it--even if you spend $1200 on it, so you have no right to sue them or anything.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Yeah I heard about it as well. Always found it kinda hilarious that Apple and their customers pretend to be some free spirited hippies and so on but are almost China level of assholes when it comes to freedom. Fun world

Although honestly I was always baffle by why people buy these incredibly expensive products when you can get a cell/mp3 player twice as much while doing the same things and quite probably lasting longer. Are people really that much into fashion?
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:18 pm

It's more about ease than popularity, I'd say. At least for me. With iTunes, you just plug in your device and it'll put everything on there for you. Quick and perfect for the techologically illiterate. But there is a drawback to those of us who know slightly more about computers. You can't pick and choose stuff to put on it like any other MP3 player, so you can only use it with one computer. If you sync an iPod to someone else's empty iTunes, it'll whipe all your stuff. I learned that the hard way. Sad
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:06 pm

I don't read it at all. I don't even read half of the contracts I sign. I would always sign papers without reading it. I don't know why maybe because I am lazy, but its tedious. Those things are long, by the time I am done reading it heck I would lose interest in whatever I was seeking for.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top