Weird, how times change. Especially when it comes to discovering who you are.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weird, how times change. Especially when it comes to discovering who you are.

Post by melissa052 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 pm

I mean with age, personality… Everything else when it comes to growing up and simply finding yourself. I can’t tell you everything I’ve wanted to do with my life in the future so far! And it’s constantly changing. At this rate, I’ll be forty and still not know.

If you would have asked what I wanted to be when I was four, I would have answered “Vegetarian” because I couldn’t say “Veterinarian.”

Fast forward to when I was 12 and I would have told you I was destined to be a rock star, even though I couldn't sing that well at all...

When I was 14, I would have said “Author” even though I had a little problem with plagiarism.

At 16, I made up my mind and decided on becoming a math teacher! For the first time, it fit! I was patient, I loved math, I often tutored and loved it. And not to mention I outsmarted the teacher on several occasions. That dream lasted till I was 19 and well into college. (Well… I say “Well into”. What I mean is one year down, 3 to go.)

Immediately after that, I decided on directing/producing. That lasted a while but faded with time. It’s still there, but not as prominent. I also lost interest in college and ended up getting dismissed/dropping out.

If you would have asked last summer, I would have immediately said acting! Especially once I got my foot in the door… I would still be more than happy to get a career in acting but it’s not my first choice.

Right now, I’m 21 (Turning 22 in a few months) and I still don’t know exactly what my first choice is. I’m going back to college, and thinking seriously about majoring in history to become an archivist. It’s actually a very fitting major/career for me that I can picture myself thoroughly enjoying. I can’t help but wonder if this is just another phase or if there’s even the slightest possibility that it’s the real deal. But I guess I’ll figure out when I figure out, just because finding myself seems to be a maze full of hit and misses. XD

Basically, as much as I love the journey of growing up and trying to find myself and where I belong in this world... I freaking despise people who immediately know their life's goals. I mean the only thing I am absolutely positive about is the fact that even though I don’t know what the future holds for me, career wise, I do want to make something of myself. Be one step up from the rest of my family and have something to show for it. Course it’ll be hard, considering I’m nearly 22 and would be graduating soon if I would have taken college seriously to begin with, but I’m still young and am capable of so much. I just definitely wouldn't complain if I had a sure answer.
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Weird, how times change. Especially when it comes to discovering who you are.

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 pm

I know what you mean. People that I went to high school with are graduated and have careers started. One girl who was a year behind me just got her masters degree. Here I am, 23 and in my junior year of college just beginning to figure out what I want to do with my life. I have it narrowed down to the social work/sociology field. That's a huge range of jobs and I really have no idea what direction I want to go in. I was planning on going straight through to a masters degree with my education. But right now, I'm so sick of school right now that I'll be surprised if I pass all my classes this semester. I feel like such a slacker.

Then on the other hand, I feel lucky. I have some direction in life. I have goals and dreams that I know that I can accomplish if I work hard enough at it. I'm not like the other less successful people I went to school with; I'm not 20-24 with 3+ kids living off the system. But I still kind of wish life had a fast forward button, because this not being able to support myself because I have to go to class instead of getting a full time job thing sucks.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: Weird, how times change. Especially when it comes to discovering who you are.

Post by Rex on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Hey don't worry Mel. We have all been there. I find that the best answer to this is college. The great thing about college is that it offers an amazing amount of opportunities and insight into different field. Especially if you get involved with various program, student organizations and so on. You practically get swamped by offers for jobs, internships, scholarships ,travel abroad programs ad so on. It's a lot of fun

And even if you get bored with lectures it's not so bad. You can still get by. Well as long as you stick to humanitarian sciences. The stuff there it's easy for the most part and you can usually pass most of the stuff even if you start learning just a few days before the exam. Hell when it came to my oral exams half a dozen times I started learning literally just a few hours before while I was standing in line waiting to be called for the exam. And I even aced half of these tests. You just have to get to know the professors and know how to handle them
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Then on the other hand, I feel lucky. I have some direction in life. I have goals and dreams that I know that I can accomplish if I work hard enough at it. I'm not like the other less successful people I went to school with; I'm not 20-24 with 3+ kids living off the system.

Yeah, that's one thing I will forever be grateful for... The fact that I am young and have time to figure things out, what path to take. I love kids but I would hate to be a mother this early in life while I'm still figuring things out for myself. The fact that I know I'm clever and can accomplish a lot, if I put my mind to it.

Hey don't worry Mel. We have all been there. I find that the best answer to this is college. The great thing about college is that it offers an amazing amount of opportunities and insight into different field.

Yeah, I wish I would have taken college a little more seriously when I went the first time. Instead I went and got myself dismissed and now getting back in is a little tricky. I still need to meet with a counselor to petition for readmission and if they approve it, hopefully I'll be back by next fall!
I think the reason why I failed with it last time is I just got bored with it and wasn't really ready for college, it just wasn't for me at that given time. At least now I feel ready, even though I'm not 100% sure of what I'll be doing.

Especially if you get involved with various program, student organizations and so on. You practically get swamped by offers for jobs, internships, scholarships ,travel abroad programs ad so on. It's a lot of fun

Maybe in university. But in my experience, junior colleges (Which is what I'll be going to for general ed.) don't seem to be as into offering all that. Unfortunately. XD

And even if you get bored with lectures it's not so bad. You can still get by. Well as long as you stick to humanitarian sciences. The stuff there it's easy for the most part and you can usually pass most of the stuff even if you start learning just a few days before the exam.

Yeah, that's more than likely what I'll be doing/sticking with. If things go like they play out in my mind and I don't get sidetracked with other of life's possibilities. XD
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 am

Hey if there isn't anything present create it yourself Smile That's always a fun thing to do. And you will be amazed at how much resources you can recieve if you show a little initiative
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top