The Number Seven.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Number Seven.

Post by melissa052 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Today, I seem to have found myself wondering about the number seven. I don’t even know why. I mean it’s just a number, isn’t it? Then why does there seem to be so much that revolves around that number?

• There are seven wonders of the ancient world.

• There are seven continents in the world.

• There are seven colors of the rainbow.

• There are seven days in a week.

• One of the most interesting facts about the number seven is its correlation with the cognitive abilities of a human being. The limits of human cognitive capacity lie within the range of 7 plus or minus 2.

• There are seven basic musical notes, namely, ‘do’, ‘re’, ‘me’, ‘fa’, ‘so’, ‘la’ and ‘te’.

• A ladybug commonly has seven spots!

• Most of the mammals’ necks have seven bones.

• The number of rows in the periodic table is seven.

• The neutral pH value that lies between acidity and alkalinity is seven.

• There are seven logic gates namely, NOT, NOR, XNOR, XOR, AND, NAND and OR.

• The Indian astronomy regards a constellation of seven stars as a group of its seven prominent saints.

• Seven is also the number of stars in the constellation, Big Dipper.

• The number of celestial bodies visible to the naked eye is seven. The stellar objects visible to naked eyes are the Sun, the Moon and the five planets namely, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Earth is a stellar body but since we are on it, it is ‘invisible’ in the sky.

• In Christianity, the number seven has been made significant by the Seven Joys of Virgin Mary, the Seven Sorrows of Virgin Mary, the Seven Corporal and the Seven Spiritual Acts of Mercy of Roman Catholic. The number seven appears in the Seven last words of Jesus on the cross, the Seven Virtues and the Seven deadly sins.

• In the Islamic tradition, there are seven heavens and seven Earths. The numbers of fires in hell and the number of doors to both the heaven and the hell is also seven.

• The Seven Lucky Gods refer to the seven gods of good fortune in Japanese mythology.

• In Buddhism, Buddha walked 7 steps at his birth.

• In Irish mythology, the epic hero Cúchulainn is associated with the number 7. He has 7 fingers on each hand, 7 toes on each foot, and 7 pupils in each eye. In the Irish epic Táin Bó Cúailnge, Cúchulainn is 7 years old when he receives his first weapons and defeats the armies of the Ulaidh and his son Connla is 7 years old when he is slain by Cúchulainn in “The Death of Aife’s Only Son.”

• In Galician folklore, a seventh son will be a werewolf. In other folklores, after six daughters, the seventh child is to be a son and a werewolf. In other European folklores, the seventh son of a seventh son will be a child with special powers of healing and clairvoyant seeing, and in other cultures that seventh son of a seventh son would be a vampire.

I could go on and on about it… But I think I actually find myself inspired. XD
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Number Seven.

Post by PiperC! on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:20 pm

I think that in some cultures 7 is viewed as luck/holy, but it isn't universal. The lucky number in China is 8.
You could probably make a similar list with any small number.
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top