How do you know if you broke something?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you know if you broke something?

Post by Rex on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

So I kinda slipped and landed weirdly on my foot. Especially my big toe. Now the moment I slipped it hurt quite a bit but I kinda ignored it. Anyway it's been a week and my toe feels pretty normal but when I move it( I am not sure of the exact word in English. Contracting it? Kinda like doing fist with the fingers of your foot?) it hurts. Does anybody know how you can tell if it's broken cause I have never broken anything in my life? I mean I know the obvious solution is to get a X-Ray but I hate hospitals and it doesn't bother that much
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you know if you broke something?

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:31 am

Well if it's not really bothering you, you should be fine. Is it a weird color? Like grayish-tinted? If so, it's probably broken.

But dude, just go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. You don't want it to heal wrong and have them break it again to fix it.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:17 pm

If it still hurts you probably at least fractured it. They can't do much about a fractured toe though, so it's your choice on whether or not to go.
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malletmusic17 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:36 pm

if you can move it, then it's not broken.
is it discolored like a bruise? or swollen?
Malletmusic17
Percussion Babe
Percussion Babe

View user profile http://musicxlifenlove17.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:Well if it's not really bothering you, you should be fine. Is it a weird color? Like grayish-tinted? If so, it's probably broken.

But dude, just go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. You don't want it to heal wrong and have them break it again to fix it.
Nope. Looks perfectly fine. That's why I thought I might have broken. If there was a bruise or anything it would explain the pain

If it still hurts you probably at least fractured it. They can't do much about a fractured toe though, so it's your choice on whether or not to go.
Yeah that's what I thought as well. Probably some minor fracture. And since I sure as hell I am not getting a cast for something like that (if they actually want to do it which I doubt) seems kinda pointless. But still I was just wondering if there was any other way to find out

if you can move it, then it's not broken.
Not really. My cousin broke her hand and she never bothered to go a hospital. She just let it heal on her own. Which was a not good idea since it healed badly and she can't play guitar anymore but still she could move it
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:08 pm

I think I broke my toe once when I was about 10...Dropped a hardcover Bible on it. Ironiccc

Anyway, I never got it checked out, but it was the worst pain I've ever felt, other than having a needle shoved into the bottom of my foot, but that's another story. I couldn't walk on it right for a couple weeks; my mom didn't bother taking me to the doctor because the bone didn't feel out of place (she's a nurse) and knew they'd just sent me home and tell me to take Tylenol.

Anyway, as long as something isn't out of place, don't waste your time dude. You probably just strained the muscles or bruised it.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Haha nice. Religions strikes back ;0

Yeah the moment I stepped weirdly it hurt quite a bit but I thought it was going to simply bruise. But now it's been more then a week and there is no bruise nor does it hurt apart from when I flex it. And there doesn't seem to be a bruise nor does it feel like the usual muscle strain so I am guessing it's it's probably some kinda small fracture. Kinda annoying since I use my feet a lot but what the hell. Do you happen to know how long it would take for some small fracture to heal? It seems ok but I don't wanna make it worse
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Actually, fracture and broken mean the exact same thing. There's not a difference. If it's swollen and black and blue, then it's probably broken. But if you can move it, and it's just sore, then you probably just jammed it.
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malletmusic17 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 pm

AshleyMC wrote:Actually, fracture and broken mean the exact same thing. There's not a difference. If it's swollen and black and blue, then it's probably broken. But if you can move it, and it's just sore, then you probably just jammed it.

no they don't. broken means the bone split all the way through, fracture means partial breakage.
Malletmusic17
Percussion Babe
Percussion Babe

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:38 pm

That is not what I was told in my medical classes. I have been told, and I have read in my books, that they are the same thing. Partial still means a break. There are different names for breaks, but essentially they both mean the same thing. I have even asked my husband's mom who is a nurse, and she said that they are the same thing. A "fracture" is just more of a medical term than saying a break.

"A fracture is the medical term for a broken bone. Fractures are common; the average person has two during a lifetime. They occur when the physical force exerted on the bone is stronger than the bone itself. Your risk of fracture depends, in part, on your age. Broken bones are very common in childhood, though children's fractures are generally less complicated than fractures in adults. As you age, your bones become more brittle and you are more likely to suffer fractures from falls that would not occur when you were young."
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malletmusic17 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 pm

AshleyMC wrote:That is not what I was told in my medical classes. I have been told, and I have read in my books, that they are the same thing. Partial still means a break. There are different names for breaks, but essentially they both mean the same thing. I have even asked my husband's mom who is a nurse, and she said that they are the same thing. A "fracture" is just more of a medical term than saying a break.

"A fracture is the medical term for a broken bone. Fractures are common; the average person has two during a lifetime. They occur when the physical force exerted on the bone is stronger than the bone itself. Your risk of fracture depends, in part, on your age. Broken bones are very common in childhood, though children's fractures are generally less complicated than fractures in adults. As you age, your bones become more brittle and you are more likely to suffer fractures from falls that would not occur when you were young."

yeah, that's true. I mean, as far as medical persons go, it's the same thing, but normally not when talking to people who are not familiar.
Malletmusic17
Percussion Babe
Percussion Babe

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 pm

AshleyMC wrote:That is not what I was told in my medical classes. I have been told, and I have read in my books, that they are the same thing. Partial still means a break. There are different names for breaks, but essentially they both mean the same thing. I have even asked my husband's mom who is a nurse, and she said that they are the same thing. A "fracture" is just more of a medical term than saying a break.

That's what I was thinking, but I was just too lazy to look it up. Because I remember from one of my classes that a "compound fracture" is when the bone is sticking out. *cringes*

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:30 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:

That's what I was thinking, but I was just too lazy to look it up. Because I remember from one of my classes that a "compound fracture" is when the bone is sticking out. *cringes*

Oh my gosh I know it! I could not imagine having a compound fracture. I would pass out!
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 am

Oh compound fractures are nasty. I know this girl who is a rock climber and one of the girls from her team had a nasty fall and had to stop herself with her leg and it broke really nastily. Shattered into pieces practically. It was full of blood and her bones have been broken into several pieces each one of which piercing through the skin. Really nasty stuff

Oh yeah your right. I guess meant more along the lines of these what were they called hairline fractures? Where it's barely broken
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soap on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:20 pm

--
Soap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top