View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who woke up to watch the royal wedding?

Post by PiperC! on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:22 am

Come on now, if you did, just admit it. We won't laugh. Razz

I did. Sad
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who woke up to watch the royal wedding?

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:42 am

H E L L no!

As far as I'm concerned, they can take their royal wedding and shove it. People are beyond obsessed and it's sickening. It's pretty sad when someone is more interested in a couple of strangers getting hitched (in a wedding costing enough to feed a third world country for 10 years) on the other side of the world than the hundreds of people who just got wiped out by a massive tornado in the south. I'm about to punch half of the people on my Facebook in the head.

/rant

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:45 am

Not really. I don't really see the fascination with the wedding. Seems kinda dull. Although I have to say I am amazed at how the Prince looked. I am not much into following these sort of things so I remember him as this normal teen from before. And now he is this bald weird looking dude. It's Diana's genes are losing the fight to the Charles genes
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malletmusic17 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 am

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:H E L L no!

As far as I'm concerned, they can take their royal wedding and shove it. People are beyond obsessed and it's sickening. It's pretty sad when someone is more interested in a couple of strangers getting hitched (in a wedding costing enough to feed a third world country for 10 years) on the other side of the world than the hundreds of people who just got wiped out by a massive tornado in the south. I'm about to punch half of the people on my Facebook in the head.

/rant

AMEN.
thank GOD I'm not the only one who thinks like that.

sure, she looked very pretty (I watched a 3min synopsis online when I got up)
and the wedding was beautiful.
but it sure as HELL didn't need all this media attention.

there are 300 something people dead in the south.
hundreds of homes destroyed, lives displaced, people hurting. that is a LITTLE more important than a Royal Wedding in a country we dont even live in.

plus, the Royal family are all just figure-heads. they serve no political purpose anymore.
Malletmusic17
Percussion Babe
Percussion Babe

View user profile http://musicxlifenlove17.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:03 pm

Malletmusic17 wrote:

/rant

AMEN.
thank GOD I'm not the only one who thinks like that.

sure, she looked very pretty (I watched a 3min synopsis online when I got up)
and the wedding was beautiful.
but it sure as HELL didn't need all this media attention.

there are 300 something people dead in the south.
hundreds of homes destroyed, lives displaced, people hurting. that is a LITTLE more important than a Royal Wedding in a country we dont even live in.

plus, the Royal family are all just figure-heads. they serve no political purpose anymore.

I just find the price of it all disgusting. It IS possible to have a beautiful wedding without being a massive tool and spending $800,000 on flowers or buying cake thats roughly $130 a slice. Think of how many people that can feed, how much medical treatment or education that can provide to areas of the world that have nothing.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Well thinking like this would drive you crazy. This is downright cheap compared to some other luxuries but look at it this way. This has essentially turned into a business. Which employs people, stiumulates the economy and so on

What's really disgusting is how much so called "aid" governments are giving to asshole countries and corporations every year. And unlike the Royal wedding this actually comes from taxpayers money and goes into the billions
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by secret_life8 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I only saw an hour before the wedding. I watched everyone (the royal family) arrive and I saw Kate's dress. I wanted to see it, mainly because I plan on moving to England at the end of college and would hate to miss out on such British history.
secret_life8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I recorded it on the DVR and my mom fastforwarded it to when Kate got out of the car.

I honestly don't care enough to get up at 4am for a wedding in another country.
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I have been using my "dad is English" excuse, but it isn't working anymore. My cousins in England didn't even care enough to watch. Razz

I just wanted to see the dress. I love dresses. Totally agree with you about William being ugly as shit. But, it was a nice little morning for myself, my mom and brother didn't bother to get up, so I had a little tea and toast party by myself, which I desperately needed.

I hate when people complain about the hype though. This isn't the first time people have gotten excited over something stupid, and it will definitely not be the last. That is just how the media rolls. I agree that there are more important issues, but people care what they care about. A perversely extravagant affair is alot more palatable than 300 dead.
I also hate when people complain about the extravagance. Yeah sure, that money could have gone elsewhere, but what do you expect. Rich people do rich things. If you were filthy rich you would live accordingly also. It isn't like the royal family hasn't done great, charitable things with their (rather arbitrary) influence. Just saying.
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

/rant

AMEN! Besides - I give it - what, 3 years? Tops.
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by x_mia_x on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:59 pm

I did not. Too early for me and I honestly couldn't care less.
x_mia_x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:22 pm

MrsJazz wrote:

/rant

I don't think it is nice to bet on other people's marriages. You don't know them personally. Yeah, half of people get divorced. That is a sad fact, but when people get married, they love each other, and most likely view it as something that will last. I think it is inappropriate to joke about things like that. How would you have felt if someone said that after you and Adam got married? You would feel like they had no right. They don't know you.

I know you are just making a funny, and it is ridiculous when people get upset over these kinds of things. It is just that I know how hurtful it is. My step mother has gotten lot of that since she is so much younger than my dad. They get a lot of "mail order bride" jokes, since she is Chinese. I know they love each other, but I constantly have to defend them when people say things like that.
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:26 pm

"As far as I'm concerned, they can take their royal wedding and shove it. People are beyond obsessed and it's sickening. It's pretty sad when someone is more interested in a couple of strangers getting hitched (in a wedding costing enough to feed a third world country for 10 years) on the other side of the world than the hundreds of people who just got wiped out by a massive tornado in the south. I'm about to punch half of the people on my Facebook in the head."

Obsession is obnoxious, yes. But I am sure you get enthusiastic about things that have nothing to do with charity or tragedy sometimes. Most people aren't saints, give them a break.

PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 pm

But, it was a nice little morning for myself, my mom and brother didn't bother to get up, so I had a little tea and toast party by myself, which I desperately needed.
Try a pizza and ayran party. It's even better

I hate when people complain about the hype though. This isn't the first time people have gotten excited over something stupid, and it will definitely not be the last.
It does seem to be a much more worthy topic to get hyped about then th lastest bs Sarah Palin said or which politician got a blowjob from a hooker or if Obama was really a Dalek in disguise who came to Earth fully grown

Well according the people around who are really hard to tune out they have already been together for 8 years, including living together. That's a basis for a really solid marriage. One of the things I have always been preaching about in fact

I have been using my "dad is English" excuse, but it isn't working anymore. My cousins in England didn't even care enough to watch.
I always thought there was no point in trying to give excuses. We like what we like. It may sound silly to others but we shouldn't lower our heads just because of other people's opinions. And yes I am including even horrible and shameful stuff like Twilight.
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 pm

I always thought there was no point in trying to give excuses. We like what we like. It may sound silly to others but we shouldn't lower our heads just because of other people's opinions. And yes I am including even horrible and shameful stuff like Twilight.

This. You enjoy what you enjoy and that's all that really matters.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:23 pm

I did not wake up for it, but I did record it. After all, it is an important thing for the Brits and from what I understand, they really like William and Kate. Besides it was a beautiful thing. I sped through it, because it was long. Kate was lovely.
I wish the two of them well.
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

View user profile http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by secret_life93 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 pm

I didn't get up to watch it. I watched part of the coverage while I got ready for school and when I was getting my nails done tonight for prom it was on so I watched it. I wasn't getting up at 3 or 4, whatever it was, I didn't even get to bed until 1 anyway so it wasn't happening.
secret_life93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:12 am

"I always thought there was no point in trying to give excuses. We like what we like. It may sound silly to others but we shouldn't lower our heads just because of other people's opinions. And yes I am including even horrible and shameful stuff like Twilight."

Dude. Amen!
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Something for Mel and Unit. I bet that would get you to watch The Royal Wedding tongue

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:42 pm

That.

Is.

AWESOME. Very Happy

I'd definitely watch then.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtnut on Mon May 02, 2011 1:53 am

I watched it from 2 in the morning until after 8. Hahaha. My mom watched Princess Di's wedding, and we all watched her funeral. I guess it's kind of a weird tradition. But I must say it did keep me entertained all night. I thought it was awesome.
And Kate Middleton is beautiful, and wore a beautiful dress. And Princes William and Harry are both very handsome men Smile If I do say so myself...
By the way, the wedding actually was a big deal but people don't appreciate good news nowadays. Yeah, the tornadoes should be talked about but not nonstop or people would stop watching and be all depressed. Why can't they talk about good things? Yes, I agree it was way over talked about. But again, it is a big deal. We don't live there so we don't understand.
Coincidence that Charles and Diana's wedding broke broadcasting records, and then Diana's funeral broke that again. Wonder how many people turned out for this one, but it was amazing.
Also, it greatly stimulated their economy. The wedding more than paid for itself. And you know, if you had endless money you would have a lavish wedding too.
Courtnut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Mon May 02, 2011 10:59 am

PiperC! wrote:

Yeah sure, that money could have gone elsewhere, but what do you expect. Rich people do rich things. If you were filthy rich you would live accordingly also.

No way in hell. I wouldn't spend $800,000 on flowers. I don't care how filthy rich someone is, that's just nauseating. I couldn't in good conscience go that overboard, doesn't matter who I am.

Courtnut wrote: Why can't they talk about good things? Yes, I agree it was way over talked about. But again, it is a big deal. We don't live there so we don't understand.

That's the thing, it's not a big deal here. If the prince of any other country gets hitched, does anybody give a shit? No. How about if one of our president's kids gets married? Again, no. If that's your thing, gawking at strangers, cool. But I was speaking more of the people freaking out over it; I know one person who was more excited over a couple of strangers than learning the sex of her kid. They're just people like everybody else.

Courtnut wrote:
And you know, if you had endless money you would have a lavish wedding too.

Again, no way in hell. Honestly, if I was that well known and people were that into my business, I'd elope with someone way beneath me in social status just to piss everyone off. The thousands of people who don't even know me that would ordinarily be there, wouldn't. I've encountered people struggling with life, battered women with no place to go, welfare children who don't know any other way of life so they continue the never ending cycle. I'd use the money that I would for a massive stinkin' rich wedding for shelters and resources for people to learn how to put their lives back together and live independently. The temporary boost in the local economy isn't going to do a damn thing for these people in the long run.
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm

No way in hell. I wouldn't spend $800,000 on flowers. I don't care how filthy rich someone is, that's just nauseating. I couldn't in good conscience go that overboard, doesn't matter who I am.
The thing is that when you are at a certain level of wealth sometimes you don't really have a choice. It's like a social club. If you don't follow certain standards you would get excluded. I know this guy who is in the real estate business(well building houses. I am not sure if this is still called real estate in English). Anyway his buisness has taken off in the last few years and he plays with the big boys now. And now he often complains how he has to spend enormous amounts of money just on looks alone. If he doesn't wear stupidly expansive suits, if his office is not decorate with again stupidly expensive foreign furniture, if he doesn't have crazy expensive whiskey and bourbon, if he doesn't have a huge SVU (the current trend among rich idiots in my country) that he really hate a lot of his clients wouldn't even look at him. It may stupid but often such lavishly expensive things are just an eccentricity among the reach. Quite often they are almost mandatory. Is it stupid? Absolutely. But that's how it is.

That's the thing, it's not a big deal here. If the prince of any other country gets hitched, does anybody give a shit? No
Actually yes. There was a full on coverage on many many channels when it came to the Swedish and Danish royal weddings, I personally didn't really care much myself but I remember how it was on every chanell

They're just people like everybody else.
But they are not. That's the whole. They live in a whole world. An other sub culture if you will. One that has been hyped by movies,fairy tales and everything in between since our childhoods. Completely normal for some people to want a glimpse inside it

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtnut on Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Exactly. Its a very important tradition in their country to have that wedding. And its a tradition for a lot of people here to watch. And you say it isn't a big deal, yet billions of people watched them and it was on a lot of channels. They both even mentioned how crazy and nuts it was. I don't think its better than learning the gender of my child though. That's just whacko.
Courtnut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Tue May 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Rex wrote:
The thing is that when you are at a certain level of wealth sometimes you don't really have a choice. It's like a social club. If you don't follow certain standards you would get excluded. I know this guy who is in the real estate business(well building houses. I am not sure if this is still called real estate in English). Anyway his buisness has taken off in the last few years and he plays with the big boys now. And now he often complains how he has to spend enormous amounts of money just on looks alone. If he doesn't wear stupidly expansive suits, if his office is not decorate with again stupidly expensive foreign furniture, if he doesn't have crazy expensive whiskey and bourbon, if he doesn't have a huge SVU (the current trend among rich idiots in my country) that he really hate a lot of his clients wouldn't even look at him. It may stupid but often such lavishly expensive things are just an eccentricity among the reach. Quite often they are almost mandatory. Is it stupid? Absolutely. But that's how it is.

And that's what wrong with the world. Everybody is so caught up in what other people are doing and what other people think of them that they lose sight of what's really important. There's nothing wrong with living comfortably and pampering yourself with the money you earned. Shit, if I was loaded I'd be driving a sexy 2011 Challenger. But at some point you have to ask yourself why you're spending money the way you are. Are you buying something because you personally like it, or is it just to impress everyone else? I'd be interested to know what William and Kate really wanted.

Rex wrote:
That's the thing, it's not a big deal here. If the prince of any other country gets hitched, does anybody give a shit? No
Actually yes. There was a full on coverage on many many channels when it came to the Swedish and Danish royal weddings, I personally didn't really care much myself but I remember how it was on every chanell

Dude. The majority of Americans don't even know where Denmark is. When someone hears the word "danish", they think food. I didn't even know Sweden and Denmark still had royalty to be honest.

Rex wrote:
They're just people like everybody else.
But they are not. That's the whole. They live in a whole world. An other sub culture if you will. One that has been hyped by movies,fairy tales and everything in between since our childhoods. Completely normal for some people to want a glimpse inside it

But really, they are. They're human....and complete strangers. I value them about as much as the hooker I just interviewed in court. The general public doesn't know who they really are, they just know what the media decides to cover. They could be complete assholes, just how Ms. Prostitute could have been a lovely woman, just desperately raising money to feed her children. An impression or assumptions based on fairly tales and movies are useless.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top