Joan of Arcadia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Joan of Arcadia

Post by Rex on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 am

It's been awhile since I watched this show and I never quite finished it. Now I have been rewatching and making up for the lost series and I gotta it's really good. Very surprising considering it's theme. Most shows handle an issue like God in a horrible way but it's brilliantly done. The interaction and quests that God gives are great and make so much sense especially at the end. And this is something I really love because I have always been a bit obsessed with the butterfly effect and this shows explores it in a great way

Another great thing are the characters. I am too lazy to go into detail right now but they really impressed. They are solidly written and have a lot of depth. And I am seriously impressed that they didn't give Grace a hollywood makeover.

Also very impressed with the plots. I just finished watching the episode with Judith and man they really went to a dark place. But it was so touching and well done

Overall great show and I think everybody regardless of their beliefs will enjoy it
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Joan of Arcadia

Post by Unit7 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Yay you finally got around to watching Joan of Arcadia. Very Happy

I loved how they handled the idea of God. Shows about God or dealing wiht religion usually fall into either to preachy or when a zealot is around you know they are after world domination or well use it to their own gains or are in general trouble for the main characters.

I love how while God is an important character its more about spirituality then anything. That and it's fun seeing the different incarnations of God.

The use of the Butterfly Effect is also done really well. While you don't always see the full picture I remember one episode where God, as a mime, explains how by her actions she set off a series of seemingly random events that led to the arrest of an arsonist and helping Kevin get a car.

I suppose I can say this for alot of episodes. But in Joan of Arcadia I really can't think of a character I didn't like. Well sorta. I didn't like Adam much towards the end.

Also I really loved the episode about Judith. Their final moment together was just really heartbreaking.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Exactly. Usually they up either preachy or they are so careful not to sound preachy that it looks very awkward. Here it was perfect.

I am especially impressed at how where they manged to make God kinda like reflection of the world. It comes of as compassionate sometimes but at the same time he doesn't pull any punches. The scene at the gas station from Judith was really good when it came to this

Exactly. It's like spirituality and common sense in one. Making Joan learn about the world and what it means to be a grown up by getting involved and and actually watching those around here and the consequences of her actions

I love the incarnations. Goth God and Old Lady are my favorite. And little girl god is absolutely adorable Smile

And no. I still haven't gone through all episodes. So far I just finished the Judith one. I still have a few more to go Smile
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Rex wrote:
I love the incarnations. Goth God and Old Lady are my favorite. And little girl god is absolutely adorable Smile

And no. I still haven't gone through all episodes. So far I just finished the Judith one. I still have a few more to go Smile

Goth God was always one of my favorites. But I loved the episode where he was introduced. Not only were you not expecting God to look like that but the ending of the episode just sort of made you think a bit more. A great example of how small actions and gestures towards others could have a bigger impact then we could ever realize. The episode also made great use of both Goth God and Old Lady God.

As far as Little Girl God. Yeah she is awesome and really adorable. The scene where Joan is walked home by Little Girl God is just hillarious.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Absolutely. I loved the ripple effect. Especially how such tiny things could have such a huge influence

Haha yeah I also loved it. And I loved the little wave God always gives. It's hilarious especially when Little Girl God does it

And now I have offically watched all episodes and I am kinda pissed that they cancelled it

I love the way they dealed with the Judith situation. It showed a really realistic portrayal and it lasted unlike most shows where usually everything is forgotten almost immediatly

I get what you mean about Adam know. Man what a douche. I didn't expect it

I also kinda love Grace and Luke. They are so great in their own way. And I was also impressed with Friedman and the Judith situation. Usually he is just a comic relief but he brought it there

I loved the final and I am really pissed that the show got cancelled. Joan vs Ryan would have been great stuff for Season 3
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by x_mia_x on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I love that show! I kind of forgot about it- I totally don't remember some of the things you guys are talking about! I may just have to re-watch it.
x_mia_x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Rex wrote:Haha yeah I also loved it. And I loved the little wave God always gives. It's hilarious especially when Little Girl God does it

agreed. Very Happy

And now I have offically watched all episodes and I am kinda pissed that they cancelled it

Welcome to the club. Smile

I love the way they dealed with the Judith situation. It showed a really realistic portrayal and it lasted unlike most shows where usually everything is forgotten almost immediatly

That always bugged me about most shows. When an important friend or character dies or moves away they are almost always forgotten right after as if they never existed. With Judity I never got that feeling really and it was nice to see her return in the finale along with Rocky.

I get what you mean about Adam know. Man what a douche. I didn't expect it

He ruined a good thing. For the most part I really loved Adam's character. A stoner like character who doesn't actually do drugs. Always fun. But then he did that and well atleast Joan got an awesome scene confronting him about it during that mock trial.

I also kinda love Grace and Luke. They are so great in their own way. And I was also impressed with Friedman and the Judith situation. Usually he is just a comic relief but he brought it there

I loved Grace and Luke together. They are just great together. As for Friedman, I had almost forgotten about his relationship with Judith. I always wondered what their first date would have been like. I once wrote a fanfic that briefly touched on the subject.

I loved the final and I am really pissed that the show got cancelled. Joan vs Ryan would have been great stuff for Season 3

The First Rule of TV: When a great show has a finale that reveals a larger story it will be cancelled. That and all other great shows will be doomed.

But seeing a battle of sorts between Joan and Ryan would have been great. I mean knowing that one of God's former helpers has turned on him would make for an interesting story. Hell I would just love an episode exploring Ryan and God's relationship.

That and I would further love to know Ryan's ultimate goal in all of this. I mean either he really doesn't like Joan or him pretty much getting involved in her school, her brother's job, the sheriffs station, and getting Adam an awesome job. It's like he knows that Joan is probably the only one standing in his way for something much bigger.

Though as much as I would love to know all of this. I also sorta fear that perhaps the show took on something much larger then it should have. Which could go one of two ways really. Either they pull it off or it fails miserably.

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:16 pm

x_mia_x wrote:I love that show! I kind of forgot about it- I totally don't remember some of the things you guys are talking about! I may just have to re-watch it.

Since I'm to lazy to edit my post.

Yay another fan. Very Happy

Joan of Arcadia is always worth a good rewatch. Smile

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 am

Ok now I am ready to rant more about what a douche Adam turned out to be. I mean seriously. A truck? For a girl like Joan. What is wrong with this boy? If at least rented out a fancy honeymoon room, gave her the whole nine yards of romance I could have given him an a for effort. But the back of a truck? And to try and use the love card to get laid when she obviously doesn't want it? and on top of that to pout like a little child and ignore her when she turns him down? Mega douche. seriously I know that stable relationship of main characters are boring on tv but they didn't need to make him that huge of a dick to break them up

And yeah. I loved how she got him during the trial. Poor Grace for getting caught in the middle of this. Another douchy act from Adam. You don't put your friends in such a situation just to feel better

Absolutely. I loved it when she came back. Although I kinda wished it wasn't used so much for giving cryptic hints as for them to pull off a big emotional moment. Like in V? God do you remember the finale with them coming back? I admit I myself shed a few manly tears. So well done

I absolutely love Luke and Grace. They fit so well together. And I love the fact that they stay true to themselves and respect each other. I loved the moment where Luke understood how hard this is for Grace and kept on with the confidentiality agreement agreeing to wait. It's rare that you see such a mature relationship on TV

It would have been fun for sure. Might be even touching. He seemed to have real feelings for her. When he was quoting Hamlet on the porch to honor it was a very powerful moment

I am thinking that Ryan trying to create chaos(which I think would have been much more interesting then simply going for evil). The opposite ripples. while Joand God work through subtle elegant means where one small pebble turns into an avalanche , Ryan seems to take the brute force approach. He took over the media,the school and the police the equivalent of putting explosives on the mountain to cause an avalanche. But still I also think he has a deep understanding of the ripples and connection. And I doubt it's just luck he can recognize God anytime

I think part of Ryan's problem probably comes from a Judith like situation. He probably ended up having the love of his life killed through his ripples in the cause of the greater good and this turned him bitter and made him want to break the system. I wouldn't be surprised if he has done in other places already. I think they mentioned something about church burnings in other town.

It would be interesting to see the comparisons. After Joan and her family came the whole of Arcadia was headed for the better. The police and the entire goverment, the studets and so on. i wonder if Ryan achieved the opposite effect in other towns

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the crazy camp was a test by God to see if Joan would break after losing Judith. I think if she went through something like Judith before crazy camp she might have broken

Really? I would love to see your fanfics. Right now I am scouring the fanfics for a good vitual season 3

By the way are you watching House? There was a Joan Judith reunion there Smile
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Rex wrote:Ok now I am ready to rant more about what a douche Adam turned out to be. I mean seriously. A truck? For a girl like Joan. What is wrong with this boy? If at least rented out a fancy honeymoon room, gave her the whole nine yards of romance I could have given him an a for effort. But the back of a truck? And to try and use the love card to get laid when she obviously doesn't want it? and on top of that to pout like a little child and ignore her when she turns him down? Mega douche. seriously I know that stable relationship of main characters are boring on tv but they didn't need to make him that huge of a dick to break them up

I really can't blame him for trying. But the way he went about it was just horrible. I also really hate that he cheated on her. Was also a bit of a surprise. I mean Adam never seemed like the kind of guy who would cheat on a girlfriend just because she wouldn't sleep with him. So for right now(can't believe I hadn't thought of this sooner) I am going to blame Ryan for this. Somehow he was involved I just know it!!

Absolutely. I loved it when she came back. Although I kinda wished it wasn't used so much for giving cryptic hints as for them to pull off a big emotional moment. Like in V? God do you remember the finale with them coming back? I admit I myself shed a few manly tears. So well done

Actually I don't quite remember this. Then again maybe it's been awhile since I seen the first season or if it was in the second season or whatever I haven't caught up yet.

I absolutely love Luke and Grace. They fit so well together. And I love the fact that they stay true to themselves and respect each other. I loved the moment where Luke understood how hard this is for Grace and kept on with the confidentiality agreement agreeing to wait. It's rare that you see such a mature relationship on TV

The confidentiality agreement was hillarious. I also love the moment where they are sorta unsure about the whole relationship and trying to pick 'their song' and found one they both hate and then at the party he puts it on loop.

I am thinking that Ryan trying to create chaos(which I think would have been much more interesting then simply going for evil). The opposite ripples. while Joand God work through subtle elegant means where one small pebble turns into an avalanche , Ryan seems to take the brute force approach. He took over the media,the school and the police the equivalent of putting explosives on the mountain to cause an avalanche. But still I also think he has a deep understanding of the ripples and connection. And I doubt it's just luck he can recognize God anytime
I think part of Ryan's problem probably comes from a Judith like situation. He probably ended up having the love of his life killed through his ripples in the cause of the greater good and this turned
him bitter and made him want to break the system. I wouldn't be surprised if he has done in other places already. I think they mentioned something about church burnings in other town.

It would be interesting to see the comparisons. After Joan and her family came the whole of Arcadia was headed for the better. The police and the entire goverment, the studets and so on. i wonder if Ryan achieved the opposite effect in other towns

That's a really good way of looking at it. Sometime after finishing Joan of Arcadia I had thought of writing my own season 3(inspired by another person's attempt) but I could never quite figure out what to go with Ryan and what he wanted to achieve. I am kinda sad I had never really considered this idea. I only had gotten as far as a short story taking place moments after the series ended but it was focused on Grace and her mother.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the crazy camp was a test by God to see if Joan would break after losing Judith. I think if she went through something like Judith before crazy camp she might have broken

Really? I would love to see your fanfics. Right now I am scouring the fanfics for a good vitual season 3

I never really thought of Crazy Camp like that before. You can see them here: Unit7'S FanFiction

Most of them are actually finished and are just short stories.

Gentle Acres takes place between season 1 and 2 at Crazy Camp.

The Mourning Grace follows Grace seconds after the finale

Monster- Was most about Steve Ramsey and the idea of losing ones light.

Desolation- Is from the end of season 1 with Joan in the hospital and its from God's point of view.

We Were Lovers - A short little thing about Joan later that night after finding out about Judith's death. (Yeah just incase you were wondering, they were not that kind of lovers Although...)

Revelations: Is about Joan's family and friends finding about her talks with God.

The one I hadn't finished was the one about Ryan. I had thought of telling the story of how he became so rich. Though it was poorly handled and didn't give the character Ryan much thought so it remained unfinished.

Though you have been warned. None of them were ever really edited. So poor writing is sure to be found. lol

Also I can't really recall if any of them were any good. I don't remember really writing Gentle Acres and I am not even sure if I got the concept of Desolation right in order to name the short story after it. So they haven't been edited and are rough stories aswell.

By the way are you watching House? There was a Joan Judith reunion there Smile

No I have seriously fallen behind. I sometimes catch an episode on the TV but that's about it. I did see at one point Amber Tamblyn was guest staring. So perhaps its time to start catching up? Very Happy

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top