"Monster" storm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Monster" storm

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:22 pm

So a rather large storm covering about a third of the country moved through over the last day or so. How was the weather where you are? I know the Chicago area got smacked pretty good and the southern states got some severe weather. Just curious, because the meteorologists here got it completely wrong. At first we were supposed to see up to two feet of snow, then by this morning they changed it to 8 inches tops. I find it hilarious because they freaked everyone out and schools(including colleges, which rarely happens) announced closings for today last night. I've had to drive to school in far worse conditions than what's out there. Laughing

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: "Monster" storm

Post by secret_life93 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 pm

I haven't had school the last two days and I got released early Monday. Very Happy We didn't get more than 6 inches I don't think, but we have like -30 wind chill today and lots of wind.
secret_life93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 pm

It is in the 20's here and this is Arizona. Granted it is in the mountains, but still. Gotta love all that Global Warming that is falling down places.
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

View user profile http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:25 pm

It beast rained for like 15 minutes yesterday around noon. It was short but it rained so hard that water collected to the top of the first step of my apartment, like 4 inches.

And Dawn, your right. Gotta love all this chaotic weather. Granted, Louisiana has seen some pretty crazy stuff, but having to have the AC on Monday, and it being freezing today, is pretty peculiar. This climate change is fun!!!
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Pretty average where I'm at. sunny, cloudy, 57 degrees at the moment but it reaches freezing at night, between 29-32 normally... No snow, sometimes rain, but that hasn't been for a week...
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:34 pm

scifidawn wrote:It is in the 20's here and this is Arizona. Granted it is in the mountains, but still. Gotta love all that Global Warming that is falling down places.

I have suggested it once and I'll suggest it again.

You really should do a bit of research into the issue. You don't have a very good grasp on the concept.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Virginia's weather is bipolar. It was like 70 today. It's been chilly recently, low's in the 20's and high's in the mid 30's to low 40's.

We've had some snow, but nothing major. I've had 3 snow days and like four 2 hour delays.

But right now it feels like early spring.
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Unit7 wrote:
scifidawn wrote:It is in the 20's here and this is Arizona. Granted it is in the mountains, but still. Gotta love all that Global Warming that is falling down places.

You really should do a bit of research into the issue. You don't have a very good grasp on the concept.

I know. I've only taken one high school course in Earth Science and I feel insulted with her understanding. I wonder how people that study climate for a living feel.

No offence Dawn, but I just can't let that go. Its not a matter of opinion.
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamIAm on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:46 pm

It just doesn't stop snowing here. We had a storm 2-3 weeks ago that we got 2 feet from, which didn't melt because it barely ever goes below freezing. Then last Thursday we got I believe another 19 inches on top of that. And we've probably gotten about another 3 inches since then. We didn't really get any snow yesterday. It was mostly frozen rain. But we had two inches of solid ice. Schools were delayed and a lot of places closed. People couldn't move their cars from all the ice.
So basically we have 3-4 ft of snow still everywhere which NYC is awful at plowing, and a solid layer of ice.

SamIAm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:04 pm

PiperC! wrote:
Unit7 wrote:

I know. I've only taken one high school course in Earth Science and I feel insulted with her understanding. I wonder how people that study climate for a living feel.

No offence and none meant back to you. I just wonder why instead of getting on my case (By the way I have two degrees and scientists in my family) that you guys do not just stop thinking you know the answer and instead do some deep research from MANY sources, not one high school class, or one science report from the news. Perhaps you guys will learn what you figure I do not know. Did you ever think that many someone else may be correct. Research it.
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

View user profile http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 pm

scifidawn wrote:
PiperC! wrote:
Unit7 wrote:

No offence and none meant back to you. I just wonder why instead of getting on my case (By the way I have two degrees and scientists in my family) that you guys do not just stop thinking you know the answer and instead do some deep research from MANY sources, not one high school class, or one science report from the news. Perhaps you guys will learn what you figure I do not know. Did you ever think that many someone else may be correct. Research it.

You could take your own advice.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 am

Oh around here the weather is wonderful. About -10 to -5 but at the same time with really clear skies and lots of sunshine.

You know seeing the stuff that's happening in the USA and other places makes me rally appreciate just what kind of a kick ass weather we are having in my country. I don't think there has been any real storm,earthquake or whatever that has become a truly major thing in the last hundred years

No offence and none meant back to you. I just wonder why instead of
getting on my case (By the way I have two degrees and scientists in my
family)
I don't know how exactly to make you understand the impression you give. You are the equivalent of some atheist going "yeah so much about Jesus being real" after hearing that the Pope spelled Jewish wrong on his website. I mean it's not like you make some minor understandable mistake. You are completely and utterly missing the point when you give an unusual local weather example and try to apply it to Global Warming. And that's not just you. The other side does the same thing when it's a little hotter then usual. And both of do this because you are simply parroting the news who of course always trample science in favor or more sensational stuff and you are too proud to admit that you don't know what you are talking about.

And I also can't help but point how silly it is to brag that you have two degrees and scientists in your family. That actually makes you sound really uneducated because every person who has actually been to an university knows that having a degree in one subject doesn't make you an expert on another subject. Ditto for science. An art graduate wouldn't know more then the average person about political science based on his degree. And a microbiology expert wouldn't really know much about quantum physics based on his degree alone either.

that you guys do not just stop thinking you know the answer and instead do some deep research from MANY sources,
Also wrong. When it comes to scientific matters you don't do research based on many resources. You do it based on respected peer reviewed journals. Of course I am guessing someone like you has been conditioned to think that you can't trust those journals because they are under the power of evil liberals or something equally silly but no. That's actually how you gain REAL knowledge about science

Perhaps you guys will learn what you figure I do not know.
I think you misunderstand again. We are not questioning your knowledge so much. I mean of course you show lapses but then again we all have our holes in knowledge. No your problem is your approach. Even when people are respectful to you , you never try to learn or improve in any way. You start out with a finished position usually based on your ideology and only seek arguments to support it while ignoring any contrary evidence. And even when someone tries to show you the right way backed up with proofs and everything you just ignore them,quickly change the topic or give a backhanded insult. In essence you behave like a stubborn child who admit it's wrong no matter how many times it's parents try to educate it.
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 am

scifidawn wrote:
PiperC! wrote:
Unit7 wrote:

I've seen no peer reviewed, respectable articles that say what you want them to say. You don't get accurate scientific information from political blogs on either side. I'm sorry to say, but as for right now, science is with me on this one. Facts are facts, they are the same wherever you get them.

And are they degrees in climatology? No? Then okay, what does it matter. No one is saying you aren't educated or intelligent. You are most probably both.
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:56 pm

AHEM. All I wanted to know was who got smacked with the big ass storm that passed through Tuesday/Wednesday and how bad it was. This really didn't have shit to do with global warming- I don't care what caused or didn't cause the storm.

Oh well, carry on. *grabs some cheetos and a coke*

I'm about to have two degrees in May. It's gonna be awesome. My opinions will be more reputable too! Even though said degrees will have nothing to do with the weather, or science for that matter. Ooh Ohh and in two years I'll have another! I'll be even awesomer!

/rant. Forgive me, I just sat in court all day for my internship. Starting to get a little loopy.

SamIAm wrote:It just doesn't stop snowing here. We had a storm 2-3 weeks ago that we got 2 feet from, which didn't melt because it barely ever goes below freezing. Then last Thursday we got I believe another 19 inches on top of that. And we've probably gotten about another 3 inches since then. We didn't really get any snow yesterday. It was mostly frozen rain. But we had two inches of solid ice. Schools were delayed and a lot of places closed. People couldn't move their cars from all the ice.
So basically we have 3-4 ft of snow still everywhere which NYC is awful at plowing, and a solid layer of ice.

Same but with a lot less snow. We usually get stuck with a ton of snow like you are, but this year we haven't gotten much. We probably have about two feet on the ground but that's all built up little by little over the last month or two. It just hasn't melted. We haven't had a big storm dropping 2 feet+ yet this year and its frikkin weird.

Last edited by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Getting smacked by storms is fun. I remember back when I was Africa there was huge rain storm. I mean really huge. everything was overflowing. The water was up to my waist. Granted I was a kid so this doesn't mean that much but still it's amazing how fast everything around you can change

Ouch you got my sympathy. There are a few things more annoying then hanging in court all day
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Rex wrote:Getting smacked by storms is fun. I remember back when I was Africa there was huge rain storm. I mean really huge. everything was overflowing. The water was up to my waist. Granted I was a kid so this doesn't mean that much but still it's amazing how fast everything around you can change

Ouch you got my sympathy. There are a few things more annoying then hanging in court all day

Try waking up to three feet of snow in your driveway. That's amazing. I miss those days, winters in upstate NY have gotten wimpy, I'm afraid.

This was my first day, so it was all just sitting around learning how things work. I'm working with the public defender, I get to interview the accused to see if the qualify for services. Should be pretty cool once I get going.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:56 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:AHEM. All I wanted to know was who got smacked with the big ass storm that passed through Tuesday/Wednesday and how bad it was. This really didn't have shit to do with global warming- I don't care what caused or didn't cause the storm.

I'm just going to leave this here for you:

Feel free to use it. lol sorry about the whole global warming thing.

I am pretty sure on those two days we just got a bunch of strong wind. Well one one night it was also snowing, but mostly it was just lots of wind.

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:59 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:
Rex wrote:Getting smacked by storms is fun. I remember back when I was Africa there was huge rain storm. I mean really huge. everything was overflowing. The water was up to my waist. Granted I was a kid so this doesn't mean that much but still it's amazing how fast everything around you can change

Try waking up to three feet of snow in your driveway. That's amazing. I miss those days, winters in upstate NY have gotten wimpy, I'm afraid.

This was my first day, so it was all just sitting around learning how things work. I'm working with the public defender, I get to interview the accused to see if the qualify for services. Should be pretty cool once I get going.

I hope that never happens. I mean I would love if this happens but I know myself and I probably wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to jump in it from a very high place and this will probably end up really badly for my bones

Oh working at the court....yeah that's what I meant as well
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by x_mia_x on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 pm

We got hit pretty hard. Not as much snow as they were predicting but still a good amount. We had snow days both Wednesday and Thursday. I'm hoping we get tomorrow off too but I doubt we will.
x_mia_x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

No snow here, just rain and wind. It's supposed to snow this weekend though.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:19 am

Unit7 wrote:
xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:AHEM. All I wanted to know was who got smacked with the big ass storm that passed through Tuesday/Wednesday and how bad it was. This really didn't have shit to do with global warming- I don't care what caused or didn't cause the storm.

I'm just going to leave this here for you:

Feel free to use it. lol sorry about the whole global warming thing.

I am pretty sure on those two days we just got a bunch of strong wind. Well one one night it was also snowing, but mostly it was just lots of wind.

Dude, I'm totally using that :p I have to remember to save it next time I'm on the computer. No worries though, I never really care where my threads go, as long as they liven up the place and get people posting. I actually have a couple articles confirming global warming in mind, I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

Rex wrote:
xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:

I hope that never happens. I mean I would love if this happens but I know myself and I probably wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to jump in it from a very high place and this will probably end up really badly for my bones

Oh working at the court....yeah that's what I meant as well

Oh its awesome. My cousins and I used to go to our grandparents' farm and sled off of the chicken house roof. No broken bones surprisingly.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 am

My cousins used to to that too!!! Except they would just do it into giant puddles and overflown ditches because it doesn't snow here. lol
One broken bone though.

Last edited by PiperC! on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 am

Where I am in Michigan we got about 8-12 inches. It was only bad Tuesday night when it first started. The roads were terrible.
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top