America Sucks.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

America Sucks.

Post by Unit7 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Should be in the media section but well I don't care right now... or ever to tell the truth.

So I recently got into watching Skins. Its a British Teen Drama that follows the lives of a group of friends in Sixth Form and all the crap they get into such as pissing off a drug dealer who doesn't like to be stared at(which is really hard not to do) to dealing with eating disorders and religion and sexuality and how being a wanker can screw you over.

Now I hear that America is deciding to remake Skins and I got done watching this trailer and I am currently rather ashamed that I call America my home. You know that feeling where you are associated with someone or something and they make a huge blunder and you are just slowly stepping away? Yeah thats sorta how I feel.

I also watched a video comparing various scenes from the trailer and the UK Skins counterpart scenes and I am like... wtf?

Also the American version of Cassy is going to be a real let down. She doesn't seem to have that spacey personality and seems sorta off in her head. I guess what I mean is she is sorta like Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter only... you know she has an eating disorder and other such problems. But the US version just sounds off and just doesn't capture it.

Of course I think they may have turned Maxxie into a lesbian. Which normally I wouldn't mind but that completely throws off the whole Maxxie and Tony thing in Russia. Which is a rather hillarious episode and sorta sums up who Tony is. A guy who does whatever he feels like and doesn't care what others think. I mean how many other straight male characters try and seduce a gay man and give them head? I, for the life of me, can't think of a single US character like that.

Though if you do know a character like that in the US let me know. So if they turned Maxxie into a female then I am going to be rather pissed. Also it completely screws over the cool relationship between Amwar and Maxxie(I think thats how you spell his name)

Heres another thing that I am disapointed in. As for as censoring goes. Its going to be rather disapointing. Atleast in the UK they seem to be able to actually drop the F bomb and other such words and there is also the small bits of nudity.

Oh and then there is Abigail or whatever. Some chick who goes to an All Girls School who throws party. That whole Party was amazing because of how naive she and her friends were. The party fit what that character was like. But in the US version apparently its going to be more of a rave then anything.

Also I have a feeling that alot of the humor is going to be lost or feel awkward. The actor who played Tony and Michelle pulled off the Nips nickname perfectly. From the glimpse of the US version it felt off and different but maybe they cut a bit out of it. But still. Maybe its the actors and... well I don't really like much of what I see of them.

But perhaps there is some hope. I mean its not like the US can get their hands on Misfits... right? I mean... come on they just can't! I mean there is no way in hell something like that could work...

Well I am officially ill at the very possibility. Sad

Remakes suck and you know why? Because most of the time they completely change things around. They mess with the original to much and much of what the people like about it is lost or ruined.

Huh. Who knew being a fan of a series for 2 days can bring such a reaction to a series I have yet to invest much time into the franchise.

Out of curiosity and if you are still reading. Of the comparison video, which looks better to you? The British Skins or the American Skins?

Oh you can tell because the logo for E4 is on the UK and the MTV is on the American.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: America Sucks.

Post by PiperC! on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm sure America won't allow half the stuff thats on the UK version on air.
I watched part of the season with Naomi and Emily, just cause I was a major shipper, but other than that, I haven't really watched it. UK TV rules, and can never be beat by the US's half assed crap. lol
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:04 pm

I've been meaning to watch Skins for a while now. Is it good?

Well in the video the british version is clearly superior. The other one looks like your generic MTV trash

Honestly what is wrong with American TV? Why remake a series that's already in English? I mean I know americans hate the very thought of subtitles but come this is freaking English here. Just buy the show and air it.

I heard they are actually planning on doing a remake of Misfits as well and I feel like strangling whoever thought off this moronic notion. They will ruin it for sure. Can you imagine an American show doing such a christmas special?

And speaking of remakes I am still teriffied to watch the American version of the brilliant movie Let The Right One In . Has anyone seen it? Just how bad is it
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Rex wrote:I've been meaning to watch Skins for a while now. Is it good?

I am really enjoying the series. The characters are great. The first 2 seasons are about a group of close friends from childhood as they prepare to go to college and such and their lives and dealing with various crap and showing a brutal look at the types of stuff teens deal with. No its not a preachy after school special or anything like that. Each episode usually just follows 1 character for the most part and they become the main character. Its definitely worth watching an episode or two.

Well in the video the british version is clearly superior. The other one looks like your generic MTV trash
Good to know I am not the only one who thought so. Razz

Honestly what is wrong with American TV? Why remake a series that's already in English? I mean I know americans hate the very thought of subtitles but come this is freaking English here. Just buy the show and air it.

I honestly have no clue. It seems like a waste of money. Can't be to hard to buy the rights to just air the series instead of buying the rights to remake and cast and film and do all that stuff. Maybe if it was just the concept of showing teen life the way skins does I might understand. Give it a new title and throw in a few references or something. But the trailer and the first episode are... well you saw the video.

I heard they are actually planning on doing a remake of Misfits as well and I feel like strangling whoever thought off this moronic notion. They will ruin it for sure. Can you imagine an American show doing such a christmas special?

After I wrote this thread, or maybe during, I googled whether or not Misfits would get a American version. I was very sad to see that it was possible. Unless they plan to put Misfits on late... like really late at night, I really doubt such a scene would make it. Which means there is no way it would be put in. Trying to pull off an American version of Misfits is just horrible idea. Mostly because of how much would have to be changed. Much of the humor that is Nathan will be lost completely. Also can you picture and American actor playing Nathan? I mean can anyone pull that character off like he can?(not sure his name) The same is going to happen to Skins. Much of the stuff will be changed because of the content.

I have yet to see the original Let the Right One In. But if any other American remakes of movies are something to judge from its going to be horrible. I still want to know how Hollywood got Pulse the way it is. Wait was it Pulse? It was the movie where the dead or whatever were moving to the real world through computers and the internet. Saw the original and... well I didn't like the original to much. But I can still see why its better.

I really wish Hollywood would get over this remake and adaptation crap and get some more original stuff out there. I mean it seems like everything is just another adaptation or remake. Of course some awesome shows come out of it like Dexter, but just be nice to see more original stuff. That and it horrifies me that people could butcher perfectly fine shows and movies the way they are. Sad

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:20 pm

You still haven't!? You really really should. It's one of the ONLY two movies where you can actually see talented child actors and perhaps the only vampire movie that actually has superb acting,writing and set instead of merely being entertaining

Pulse? That was a remake? I only watched it caused it has Kirsten Bell in it. It was kinda mediocre. How was the original better?
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Rex wrote:You still haven't!? You really really should. It's one of the ONLY two movies where you can actually see talented child actors and perhaps the only vampire movie that actually has superb acting,writing and set instead of merely being entertaining

Yeah I know. Which is the other movie? I think I know which one you are talking about though. The one with the two kids who sort of run away. God what is the name of that movie. Have Dreams Will Travel! Thats it. I knew it had Dream in the title.

Pulse? That was a remake? I only watched it caused it has Kirsten Bell in it. It was kinda mediocre. How was the original better?

Well if I remember correctly the two movies had a similar plot and maybe the remake tried to touch on the same theme. If I remember correctly the American version focused more on the ghosts or whatever and the idea of them killing you and trying to get back to the world of the living.

In the Japanese version the movie focused more on the idea of solitude and being alone. The afterlife, which are those videos of people sitting alone and killing themselves, is spent in a single room alone for eternity. As the movie progresses people commit suicide(I think that happens in the American one) and you see fewer and fewer people on the streets and a general sense of emptyness throughout the city. The Japanese version's horror was targeted far more on emotions and what the afterlife might be like.

That is if I remember it correctly. Its been ages since I seen either of the movies. While I didn't particulary enjoy the original I can appreciate the concept and what the movie was really about.

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow good memory. Yeah. Have Dreams Will Travel. One of the very few movies that combines real talent and good writing and at the same time the most horrible marketing campaign the world has ever seen

Ahh these types of movie. Sound interesting and horribly depressing. I might check it out. By the way have you watched a Wristcutters: A love story? It's a very interesting take on the after world. The after world that is set aside for those who commit suicide. It's quite interesting. And it also shows what happens when you kill yourself after you are already dead
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Rex wrote:Wow good memory. Yeah. Have Dreams Will Travel. One of the very few movies that combines real talent and good writing and at the same time the most horrible marketing campaign the world has ever seen

Couldn't agree more. Its horrible that such a great movie can get such bad marketing.

Ahh these types of movie. Sound interesting and horribly depressing. I might check it out. By the way have you watched a Wristcutters: A love story? It's a very interesting take on the after world. The after world that is set aside for those who commit suicide. It's quite interesting. And it also shows what happens when you kill yourself after you are already dead[/quote]

It is depressing.

Yeah I have seen Wristcutters: A love story. I loved the movie. Wait what happens if you kill yourself a second time? I am pretty sure I should know this, but I just can't remember what it was. lol

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Ok now that I am finally educated on Skins I went back and saw the video all I can say is fuck those guys. Fuck them so hard. Motherfucking MTV. What is wrong them?

How can anyone take these little overstyled shits seriously? Tony looks douche instead of alpha asshole that he is, Effy...Effy who can use just one look to tell you to go fuck yourself ten ways from sunday looks like some immature blond brat. Sid looks like a fucking emo seriously how much time does he spend on his hari? I feel the urge to beat the crap out of him every time I saw him in the trailer, Michelle looks completely devoid of personality and what the fuck? They turned Maxxie into a girl? A freaking cheerleader. Jeez MTV way to be the open minded TV. That's not homophobic at all. I wonder what horrified them more. The idea of a male gay character or that this storyline would have required them to show a normal and yet still faithful muslim family. And Cassie...Cassie don't get me started on Cassie. The real Cassie was perfect. All you needed was one look to see how messed up she was. This one looks as bland a polish cucumber.

Honestly right now I feel like finding whoever is responsible for this abomination and doing this to them

Spoiler:

Ok maybe I am overreacting because I am still fresh with the experience but damn that looks like crap

Honestly if they do this to Misfits as well I am taking out all my old lectures from storage then i'll go to the nearest farm and MTV is going to be really sorry
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Rex wrote:Ok now that I am finally educated on Skins I went back and saw the video all I can say is fuck those guys. Fuck them so hard. Motherfucking MTV. What is wrong them?

Yes I am not alone in this tragedy! Well actually I believe most Skins fans are against this, with great reason too.

How can anyone take these little overstyled shits seriously? Tony looks douche instead of alpha asshole that he is, Effy...Effy who can use just one look to tell you to go fuck yourself ten ways from sunday looks like some immature blond brat. Sid looks like a fucking emo seriously how much time does he spend on his hari? I feel the urge to beat the crap out of him every time I saw him in the trailer, Michelle looks completely devoid of personality and what the fuck? They turned Maxxie into a girl? A freaking cheerleader. Jeez MTV way to be the open minded TV. That's not homophobic at all. I wonder what horrified them more. The idea of a male gay character or that this storyline would have required them to show a normal and yet still faithful muslim family. And Cassie...Cassie don't get me started on Cassie. The real Cassie was perfect. All you needed was one look to see how messed up she was. This one looks as bland a polish cucumber.

You can probably see now what I mean about the parties seen in the trailer. The US completely ruined what made the party scenes and all that so great in the first episode. While the UK seems to be the result of a naive sheltered girl trying to throw a house party, turns into... well whatever the US is trying to accomplish. It just seems wrong.

God don't even remind me of what they are going to do to Effy's character. The actress who played Effy was great. The writing for the character was great. This is why I hate remakes. Even if they try and go a new storyline, they fuck up the characters to much.

Stanely(Sid) looked more like a stereotype of a stoner type of character. Sid was more of a guy who is a slob and lazy then anything. I don't even remember him doing a whole lot of drugs either. Oh speaking of the drugs. Dude they completely ruined such an awesome scene. In the US version it just seems awkward and wrong.

As for Maxxie being a girl. Yeah I know. You know if she ends up being a Lesbian instead of a Gay male, I am actually going to be really disapointed. I'd rather they cut out Maxxie altogether then to watch them completely butcher his character. I dunno if that makes any sense. I think its because America is horrible when it comes to this. I can easily picture them being perfectly fine with a lesbian character and not so fine with a gay character. You know?

The Cassie in the US version just sounds off. in the UK version she has that dreamy sort of voice that helps pull off the whole taking a bus load of drugs and being quick about it. But the US one it just sounds horrible. I also agree that you can just look at Cassie and tell she is troubled. They did an amazing job with her. But in the US... wtf? Sad

Honestly right now I feel like finding whoever is responsible for this abomination and doing this to them

Spoiler:

Ok maybe I am overreacting because I am still fresh with the experience but damn that looks like crap

Such a great clip. But I completely agree. They seemed to have ruined everything that is great about the show. I mean instead of having a odd and skinny looking dude with a giant mustache for the drug dealer, they had that... I dunno frankenstien like thing? lol

Honestly if they do this to Misfits as well I am taking out all my old lectures from storage then i'll go to the nearest farm and MTV is going to be really sorry

I don't even want to think of what they would do to Misfits. Its one of those shows that should definitely not be touched.

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Yes I am not alone in this tragedy! Well actually I believe most Skins fans are against this, with great reason too.
I think the worst part is that it's on MTV. A remake as whole is idiotic. BUt if they used as a starting instead of trying to cloned it and put on HBO,Showtime or AMC ot might not have been a tragedy. BUt MTV. Shit

You can probably see now what I mean about the parties seen in the trailer. The US completely ruined what made the party scenes and all that so great in the first episode. While the UK seems to be the result of a naive sheltered girl trying to throw a house party, turns into... well whatever the US is trying to accomplish. It just seems wrong.
Lol I am guessing they are afraid of hitting a bit too close to home to their fans. Naive sheltered girl? Judging by the programming of MTV that probably makes a big chunk of their audience

God don't even remind me of what they are going to do to Effy's character. The actress who played Effy was great. The writing for the character was great. This is why I hate remakes. Even if they try and go a new storyline, they fuck up the characters to much.
Tell me about it. And I haven't even started season 3 today so I barely know Effy yet. I am guessing I will be back with another hate filled rant against MTV soon

Stanely(Sid) looked more like a stereotype of a stoner type of character. Sid was more of a guy who is a slob and lazy then anything. I don't even remember him doing a whole lot of drugs either. Oh speaking of the drugs. Dude they completely ruined such an awesome scene. In the US version it just seems awkward and wrong.
This is indeed the very essence of his chaarcter. I think Effy put it best when she said "|You are incapable of anything involving effort,focus or subtlety"
Yeah. I can only imagine if they ruined this one so badly how screwed up or if it even will be there the scene where Cass and Moustache Man meet in therapy. It was so hilarious to see How offended Moustache Man was that Sid would cheat him

As for Maxxie being a girl. Yeah I know. You know if she ends up being a Lesbian instead of a Gay male, I am actually going to be really disapointed. I'd rather they cut out Maxxie altogether then to watch them completely butcher his character. I dunno if that makes any sense. I think its because America is horrible when it comes to this. I can easily picture them being perfectly fine with a lesbian character and not so fine with a gay character. You know?
Absolutely. And I bet they won't even include Osama Blew us Away Sad

The Cassie in the US version just sounds off. in the UK version she has that dreamy sort of voice that helps pull off the whole taking a bus load of drugs and being quick about it. But the US one it just sounds horrible. I also agree that you can just look at Cassie and tell she is troubled. They did an amazing job with her. But in the US... wtf?
The US version just seems like she is faking it. I can't imagine her ever pulling off the real tense scene with Cassie and her quite often rapid descent into madness

By the way I was imdbing the actors of Skins since I have noticed that one way to find great movies is to track great actors and I was completely and insanely surprised that the actors who plays Tony was the weird singing that stalked Hugh Grant in About a Boy! How insane is this? If it was Sid I wouldn't have been surprised at all but Tony? Damn he really pulls of different personalities well
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Rex wrote:I think the worst part is that it's on MTV. A remake as whole is idiotic. BUt if they used as a starting instead of trying to cloned it and put on HBO,Showtime or AMC ot might not have been a tragedy. BUt MTV. Shit

Hmm I could definitely see one of them doing Skins properly. I'd still be a bit biased of course. But yeah it wouldn't nearly be as bad. Lets just hope that if and most likely when Misfits gets remade that one of these three will be doing it.

Lol I am guessing they are afraid of hitting a bit too close to home to their fans. Naive sheltered girl? Judging by the programming of MTV that probably makes a big chunk of their audience

Hmm didn't consider that. Razz

Tell me about it. And I haven't even started season 3 today so I barely know Effy yet. I am guessing I will be back with another hate filled rant against MTV soon

I think overall you will probably enjoy Effy and some of the other great characters.

Yeah. I can only imagine if they ruined this one so badly how screwed up or if it even will be there the scene where Cass and Moustache Man meet in therapy. It was so hilarious to see How offended Moustache Man was that Sid would cheat him

Oh I don't even want to think about it. If the trailer wasn't so much of a clone I think I wouldn't worry to much. But so far it just seemed like they were recreating the whole thing. If this is true then... they have already messed up so much of it that it will be horrible. Sad

Absolutely. And I bet they won't even include Osama Blew us Away Sad

Took me a moment to remember what you were talking about but then I remembered and I was surprised I forgot. That was such an awesome song and just so random.

The US version just seems like she is faking it. I can't imagine her ever pulling off the real tense scene with Cassie and her quite often rapid descent into madness

*shudders* Neither can I. The actress who played Cassie could pull it off so perfectly. I don't even want to try and picture what the scene between Cassie and her Taxi Driver person at the end of the second episode would be like.

By the way I was imdbing the actors of Skins since I have noticed that one way to find great movies is to track great actors and I was completely and insanely surprised that the actors who plays Tony was the weird singing that stalked Hugh Grant in About a Boy! How insane is this? If it was Sid I wouldn't have been surprised at all but Tony? Damn he really pulls of different personalities well

I don't think I have yet to see About a Boy. But now I am more then curious about it.

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top