After death?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

After death?

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:35 pm

I have to write a paper (which happens to be due tomorrow...probably should get started Razz) on the concept of life after death, arguments supporting, arguments against it, my personal stance.

Just curious, where does everyone stand on the subject? I know we have a variety of people from different religions and walks of life here. What do you think happens when you die? Heaven or Hell? Nothing? Rebirth? Something else?

Please be as respectful as possible. I enjoy debates, but there's really no need to be a douche. Smile

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Re: After death?

Post by PiperC! on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:33 pm

I don't really have any interesting or insightful views on this subject, but as far as I am concerned, nothing.
We don't know what happens, and we currently have no way of finding out, so I just have to go with what seems logical based on what we know about consciousness; that when your brain dies, you die (boohoo, but nothing's eternal). We have never proven a soul (and what use is an unproven concept in such a profound question, a question most would want the correct answer to), so any conjecture on what happens to it is just a fun, dangerous, philosophical subject that has no application in real life.
Basically.
Plus there is the fact that people are killed and/or their lives are ruined over this. This fact, however, doesn't seem to fit in with how you described the assignment. It is more suited for a report on dogmatic ways of thinking, not just spiritual beliefs.

You procrastinator you. How long/detailed does this paper need to be? And for what class?
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:29 pm

It's for Death Dying & Bereavement. The paper only has to be 3 pages, once I get going it should only take a couple hours; it's due by midnight so I really should get going. Pain in the ass though, it has to be in Times New Roman font, I can't cheat like I usually do and use Courier to take up more space-I think my professor caught on, it's the first assignment out of 10 this semester where she said what font to use. :p

I have the same belief that you do, nothing happens. Death is much like before birth- you don't exist.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Hahaha, sounds like an interesting class, a little grim, but interesting. What degree are you working towards?

Thanks for that tip by the way, I used it in my Pinatas essay, along with some flashy clip art to take up space. That was probably pushing it though. Razz
PiperC!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:52 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:I have the same belief that you do, nothing happens. Death is much like before birth- you don't exist.

But can you prove that?

Thats sorta the big problem with this topic. The only argument you can have one way or another is your own personal beliefs. To use Religious Texts to back you up, you would sort of need to prove God exists. You could also use ghost sitings and such but even if they are true, who says they are ghosts to begin with? For all you know they are just signs of two universes rubbing a bit to close to each other. For all I know I am could be a "Ghost" in some place in another universe or whatever. Actually I have no idea if such a thing is even theoretically possible. Cool idea though.

To argue one side or another is like arguing which Soda is better. You only have your own opinion. You can say that it has no sugar or that it tastes like rainbows. But that doesn't mean the other guy or gal is going to enjoy the no sugar and rainbow flavor. His or her belief might mean that chocolate covered bunny is better then rainbows ever could be.

Ok thats probably a terrible analogy as far as terrible analogies go.

One way or another you can't prove there is life after death or if we didn't exist before birth. You can't prove or disprove that we are rebirthed into the world over and over again.

But just because we can't prove it, doesn't mean its not true. I believe Black Holes were once just theoretical. We didn't know for sure if they existed or not. But now we know. Of course as for life after death I can say that life after clinical death is proven. But that's not saying much.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:12 pm

PiperC! wrote:Hahaha, sounds like an interesting class, a little grim, but interesting. What degree are you working towards?

Thanks for that tip by the way, I used it in my Pinatas essay, along with some flashy clip art to take up space. That was probably pushing it though. Razz

This class is going towards my associates degree in psychology, I'm double majoring with human services. Next fall I'll be going on to another school for a bachelors in social work. Definitely grim, but very interesting. Fun fact: Human ashes have a course, gritty texture.

Haha no problem, I learned that little trick in English 101 back in 2006. That professor was awesome.

Unit7 wrote:
xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:I have the same belief that you do, nothing happens. Death is much like before birth- you don't exist.

But can you prove that?

Nope, that's what's fun about this assignment. There's no wrong answer, because no one knows.

Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Another tip: make periods and commas just a couple font sizes bigger. It actually makes a difference. Wink

As for the question, I believe in the biblical view. It's either heaven or hell.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Another tip: make periods and commas just a couple font sizes bigger. It actually makes a difference. Wink

As for the question, I believe in the biblical view. It's either heaven or hell.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I agree with Hannah, for me it is Haven or hell. The thing about me is that you can never know who is going to hell or heaven. I have the Islamic faith, but being a Muslim doesn't give me the key to heaven. I can hope for heaven, and I do, but I don't know, because I don't know the future. I can't read God's mind.

ayan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 am

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:I have to write a paper (which happens to be due tomorrow...probably should get started Razz) on the concept of life after death, arguments supporting, arguments against it, my personal stance.

Just curious, where does everyone stand on the subject? I know we have a variety of people from different religions and walks of life here. What do you think happens when you die? Heaven or Hell? Nothing? Rebirth? Something else?

Please be as respectful as possible. I enjoy debates, but there's really no need to be a douche. Smile

There is no life after death. Not in the way we understand life. Even if hell and heaven exist there is no life after death because what we define as life is us. Our mind, our personality and this cannot be preserved after death. Take for example reincarnation. Sure it may be the same soul but it's not the same mind. It's not you. You won't remember your loved ones, the important events of your life that shaped nothing. You are for all intents and purposes dead.

Ditto for Heaven and Hell. One is a place without suffering the other is a place only of suffering and both are eternal . Humans are beings of balance. Devoiding us of our pain and suffering or giving us only pain and suffering will destroy us as a personality as surely as reincarnation.

So in the end there is no life after death no matter which religion or lack thereof is right. It's the spiritual equivalent of being brain dead vegetable. Sure technically parts of you may register as living but you are dead. Same thing here. Some shards of who you were as a person may remain in the afterlife but that's not going to be you so you will be essentially dead
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Woah I didn't even know double posts were possible over here... LOL.
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top