Quick question: What would an adopted kid call their adopted parent(s)?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quick question: What would an adopted kid call their adopted parent(s)?

Post by melissa052 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Now I'm sure no one here will or can know for sure, but I've been thinking about the next script I'll be writing and this question has me wondering....

In it, the main character is a girl, she has been 'raised' by her biological parents who abused and neglected her, at about 8, she's taken out of the bad environment and placed into the foster care system, and she's adopted when she's 11... (All this is just part of her back story)

The actual movie would take place when she's about 16-17, and she appears to have a strong connection to her adopted parents because they've brought her up with the love and affection she didn't have for her first 8~10 years, she looks up to them as if they were her real parents...

In this case, what do you think the adopted teen would call her adopted parents? Mom and dad? Their first names?

It's moments like this that I wish I could have been adopted so I could know the answer for sure....

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

View user profile http://midnight-ninja-mel.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick question: What would an adopted kid call their adopted parent(s)?

Post by Hannah_Banana222 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:08 am

Mom and Dad, most likely. Unless it's just an older foster kid. Kids who don't get adopted till they're pretty old probably wouldn't consider the "parents" their parents, simply because they're only there till the kid turns 18.

My stepsister calls my mom Mom. She has since she first met her. I really don't like that kid. >.<

Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

View user profile http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:18 am

Comes down to the people involved. The parents are more then likely going to want them to call them Mom/Dad. However it would come down to what the kid is comfortable with.

There is no right or wrong answer and it varies.

Sometimes, late at night, I sit here and I wonder. The things I wonder vary from night to night. Sometimes I wonder about the stars and other nights I wonder about what tomorrow will be like. But recently I have been wondering what my life would have been like without you...-Samantha Greene

Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

View user profile http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 am

Depends on the situation and how the kid feels. If she was adopted at 11 it could go either way because she probably remembers her birth parents, unless she has some type of post traumatic stress and blocked the memory of them. Since she has a strong bond with them, I'd go with mom and dad.

"Open your mind before your mouth." - Motionless in White
Book-face.
Follow me on Instagram!

xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

View user profile http://www.instagram.com/snakebitess

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:50 am

She would probably go with mom and dad. Or whatever she is comfortable with. But if it were me I would want to call my adoptive parents mom and dad espcially coming out of a relationship like that with my biological parents.

AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:45 am

Mom and Dad was what I was thinking as well! Thanks for the input! Smile

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by brown eyes sp on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:30 pm

You know what might be interesting? If she called the adopted parents mom and dad, but then called her actual parents by their first names (if she ever sees them again in the script, that is Razz ).

brown eyes sp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:39 pm

brown eyes sp wrote:You know what might be interesting? If she called the adopted parents mom and dad, but then called her actual parents by their first names (if she ever sees them again in the script, that is Razz ).

Haha! I was just thinking of that... I'm considering pulling her birth mom out of jail during the script and the social workers and adoptive parents giving her a chance to talk to her if she wants, whether she chooses to, I don't really know yet, since she still holds grudges against her birth parents (for rightful reasons, too)...

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:43 pm

In it, the main character is a girl, she has been 'raised' by her biological parents who abused and neglected her, at about 8

But did they abuse her or did she.....abuse them. Wouldn't it be more interesting if she was possessed by an ancient Sumerian demon?

she's taken out of the bad environment and placed into the foster care system
Where this happens once she gets a puppy

Spoiler:

and she's adopted when she's 11... (
Until her newly adoptive parents suddenly kill themselves. In remorse over the fact that they refused to buy her a playstation

The actual movie would take place when she's about 16-17,
And has turned the boys in her school into her sex slaves

nd she appears to have a strong connection to her adopted parents
Because she brought very high quality steel for their chains

In this case, what do you think the adopted teen would call her adopted parents? Mom and dad? Their first names?
Unworthy mammals

So many movies would be better if the main character is possessed by a demon

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 pm

LOL Rex! Sorry, horror isn't the direction I plan to take on this... I promise I'll write a psychological thriller with a demon possessed character one of these days dedicated to you! Maybe I'll name the main guy Rex... Wink
I just need to think of a plot that's not so like what you just gave me! Razz

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 am

Yay : And don't forget every horror requires gratuitous nudity(of the female kind ). I have some casting suggesting when you get started on it Wink

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:22 am

Rex wrote:Yay : And don't forget every horror requires gratuitous nudity(of the female kind ). I have some casting suggesting when you get started on it Wink
Eh, casting isn't necessary for writing... Character description in a script is supposed to be general, not specific! :p
Maybe a plot or story arc would help, though... I so need to watch more horrors, I've been into too many kiddie movies lately...

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am

melissa052 wrote:
Rex wrote:Yay : And don't forget every horror requires gratuitous nudity(of the female kind ). I have some casting suggesting when you get started on it Wink
Eh, casting isn't necessary for writing... Character description in a script is supposed to be general, not specific! :p
Maybe a plot or story arc would help, though... I so need to watch more horrors, I've been into too many kiddie movies lately...

Yeah but you are obviously going to become a big time movie girl who writes,produces and does everything with her own movies so hence you will be in charge of casting too

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:09 am

Rex wrote:
melissa052 wrote:

Yeah but you are obviously going to become a big time movie girl who writes,produces and does everything with her own movies so hence you will be in charge of casting too

You never fail to make me smile! I doubt I'll have that much power over what I do within the business for a long time... Unless I take the somewhat harder path and go straight into producing and do it indie... Not very many real good actors are into doing much with unknowns...

melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:41 am

melissa052 wrote:

You never fail to make me smile! I doubt I'll have that much power over what I do within the business for a long time... Unless I take the somewhat harder path and go straight into producing and do it indie... Not very many real good actors are into doing much with unknowns...

They don't......well I guess as I friend I should help you and take one for the team. You can use me. You can tell Olivia Wilde, Emma Stone, Angelina Jolie, Kate Beckinsale, Mila Kunis, Milla Jovovich, Natalie Portman, Kristen Bell, Nina Dobreva ,Jaimie Alexander, and several dozen more hot actresses that if they work with you they can have me as a sex slave for an year

Rex
Leliel
Leliel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top